newbie from WIRRAL, UK

  • wirral acars
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
      hi all
      just a quick hello,
      just got my DX-394B off ebay uk, (£49:00 inc postage) great condition,
      snapped antenna was the only fault, its to replace my trusty old DX-300,
      which has served me well, but is getting a bit tired now.

      what a fantastic welcome message(s) from the moderators, all the info i'll
      ever need about my radio right from the start, top marks there.

      a little about myself, i run an acars listening station, here on the wirral,
      in the uk, i am using my dx-394 mainly for hf-acars, to compliment my vhf
      setups, (so any advice on antennas or mods for this would be greatly
      received)

      thanks for accepting me into the group, & i look forward to contributing to
      & receiving info from the group,
      cheers guys

      --
      happy spotting
      131.725, & 131.825,

    • Norman Davies
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
        Hi John,

        Norman here, in County Durham. I think I was watching the DX394 you bought.
        Good to hear from you. I'll let the more knowledgable folk around here
        answere you technical points.

        Norman.

      • mjgardenia@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi John,

          And welcome to the group. I always wonder what reception is like for
          our cohorts across the pond compared to eastern North America, which
          (like Northern Europe) is considered an area of high activity.

          "Considered" is different from "being" and such has been the case for us
          with less activity and noiser conditions than normal for most of the
          past two years due to it being the low point of the sunspot cycle. It's
          even worse for those located in the central part of the country.

          During fall and winter months we've been unable to receive most
          regularly scheduled evening broadcasts above 41 meters (while still
          managing to receive second bounces of afternoon transmissions on 31, 25
          and (to a lesser extent) 19 meters from Europe, the Middle East and
          Africa). At times I was able to better catch Europeon and Middle
          Eastern transmissions to Africa and Asia (between 0000 to 0500 UTC) than
          signals actually aimed to North America (even via relay). We also had
          difficulty catching the usual U.S. time signals on 10.000 and Canadian
          ones on 7.335.

          International stations also limited their North American evening
          broadcasts mostly to 49 meters (these, fortunately, came in quite well).

          SSB reception on 80 meters has been good,, however, a friend of mine who
          is an amateur operator has often said conditions were so bad that he
          wasn't able to raise the usual amount of stations he's used to getting.

          The past two weeks a few of us finally reported an increase in activity
          and overall signal quality. Evening transmissions are once again
          starting to filter through on 31 meters. Sometimes those time signals
          come in loud and clear and other times there is nothing more than noise.
          Stations like Radio France International and Channel Africa broadcasting
          to Africa on 41 meters are more clearer too.

          So what has been your experience in England? Same problems with what
          you're used to, like us in North America? Would love to get your take
          on it.

          73's and good luck with your new 394B,

          Joe
        • wirral acars
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
            hi joe
            conditions are not too bad here, but as i said i mainly use my rig for
            hf-acars
            past couple of days i've been receiving the canaries, reykjavik & shannon,
            but hopefully this weekend i will be giving my dx a good workout going thru
            the bands,
            i have a bit of a problem with background hash, (i have electric pylons
            about 200 meters from the rear of my house), but i have a wire loop, about
            150ft in length which seems to give not too bad reception, but hopefully
            when the cycle picks up, i should be receiving better, but as it is, i am
            well pleased with my 394b, it definitely out performs my dx-300,
            (filter-wise) but i miss fiddling with the tuning, lol
            all in all though, its a cracking little radio, & i'm looking forward to
            trying out some of the modifications that are listed in the groups files,
            which is like a goldmine of info.
            cheers for accepting me guys
            73's to all & happy listening.

            happy spotting