Re: Has reception been very bad lately...?

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, mjgardenia@... wrote:

      > Hi Tom,
      >
      > Don't worry - it's not your set. Conditions have been quite low the
      > past few months, even though solar activity was supposed to have picked
      > up in November. Being in Michigan, you're still in the region of the
      > country that is considered a strong reception area, so be glad you are
      > not in Los Angeles!
      >
      > Last night I finally noticed a vast improvement. Hams on 80 meters were
      > coming in throughout the LSB range of 3.750 to 4.00 Mhz, something I
      > hadn't experienced in quite a while. Most cases I was able to catch
      > both ends of the conversations. A few more international stations
      > slipped through on 25 and 31 meters, although the vast amount of
      > activity is still geared to 49 and 41.
      >
      > Just hope it wasn't a one-shot deal and that the cycle is now definately
      > headed upward.
      >
      > 73's
      > Joe

      Glad to hear that Joe. I was surprised that there was so little I was
      able to pick up. I knew it had to be the conditions and, more than
      likely not the set! (Although I wasn't about to rule out the operator
      either!) :)
      By the way, concerning the QSL cards...I have quite a few myself.
      Most of them date back only to the late seventies and early eighties
      but I do have a few "unique ones in my collection. The one I am most
      proud of is an English edition of an Egyptian newspaper that was sent
      to me by an engineer from Radio Cairo. He also sent along a pack of
      post cards from the "Valley of Kings" in response to my original QSL.
      I still have them.
      OK...happy DXing Joe and
      '73!
      Tom
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "William Barrett" <bill@...>
        wrote:

        > Radio propagation the last several days has been terrible.
        >
        > Here's a quick diagnostic, useful anytime:
        >
        > In AM tune to 2.5, 5.0, 10.0, 15.0, and 20.0 MHz. These
        > are the WWV time signals in Boulder Colorado. These will
        > give you a good idea how signals are doing. You can also
        > try 3.330 and 7.325 for radio CHU, Canada.
        >
        > In Shannon, Ireland, a single-sideband aeronautical weather
        > station transmits on four frequencies virtually 100% of the time.
        > In UpperSideband tune to: 3.413, 5.505, 8.957, and 13.264.
        > These will tell you what the path over the North Atlantic to
        > Europe is doing.
        >
        > 73,
        > KW1B
        > Connecticut

        Thanks Bill!!
        Great advice. I'll be sure to give that a try!
        Happy New Year!
        Tom Grand Rapids, Mi.

      • Al Barthe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          There has been a lot of sun spot activity over the
          last 32 days also.

          bc

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • mjgardenia@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            Guess my most most valued QSL is a special one from Radio Sweden sent
            only to those who verfied they caught the 1000th broadcast of "Sweden
            Calling DX'ers" back in 1968.

            - Joe
          • Ivan Penev
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
              Not true: ZERO activity in last 12 days:-((

              73's Ivan

            • William Barrett
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                Currently:
                http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/12/30/100/?nc=1

                Deeper Background:
                http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/k9la-prop.html

                and:
                http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/8312011.pdf

                ...which is admittedly a LOT of good information. Knowing how
                all these factors interact has always confused my simple mind,
                which is why I enjoy the "Time Signals, Plus Shannon Aeradio"
                approach of quick real-time, real-world measurements. Generally,
                if propagation is good anywhere, it's good everywhere---and the
                reverse. There are exceptions, but for casual listening, it's a pretty
                accurate idea.

                Good hunting!

                73
                KW1B
              • mjgardenia@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Well,

                  I've noticed it's picked up the past few days. Last night around 0400
                  UTC was finally able to catch lots of SSB activity throughout 80 meters
                  and this afternoon (approximately 2100 UTC) actually caught some USB on
                  20 meters. At the same time also picked up strong Europeon English
                  language transmissions to Africa on 25 and 31 meters (while Cuba's
                  signal to the U.S. on 25 meters was actually weaker).

                  I've noticed some amateurs commenting on the poor conditions but that
                  things seemed to be opening up for the better as well.

                  Let's hope increased solar activity was one of Santa's presents to all
                  of us! The Fall months were very bad.

                  73's
                  Joe