My DX-394 seem to be off by -1.5 kHz

  • John C. Benoist
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
      Ok, this is really starting to bug me. My DX-394 seem to be off by -1.5 kHz and it only seem to occur in USB mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    • steven gibbons
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
        hi,
        mine is the same,
        it seems to be off by 0.0017khz.
        i asked a few ppl on the group about it, and was told it wud be fairly east to repair, but iv now just got into the habit of tuning down by 0.0017khz from each freq i go to.
        if i want to tune to 2182, i tune my dx394 to 2.1803khz, 5680 is 5.6783khz and so on.
        i havent heard of another one doing that, urs is the only other one, mine is a C model,
        can someone plz remind me of how to tell the year of manufacture etc by the serial no??
        thank u,
        best regards,
        steven,
        south west scotland.

        "John C. Benoist" <john_benoist@...> wrote:
        Ok, this is really starting to bug me. My DX-394 seem to be off by -1.5 kHz and it only seem to occur in USB mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

        Trim all but the core of this message when replying to keep replies from mushrooming in size.
        For archives of prior messages, files, links, photos, user survey, members info, etc., visit our group on the WWW.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John C. Benoist
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
          My terminology may be incorrect so let me clarify. If I want to tune 11175.0 kHz I have to tune down to 11173.5 kHz.

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
            I actually would be tuning to 11175.2

            I've always had that same problem.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
              hi,
              well if ur radio is off by 0.0015khz, yes tune it to 11.1735khz
              my radio is off by 0.0017 khz so for me to tune to 11.175 id tune it to, 11.1733khz.
              there are others on this group that know lots more about how to repair this prob,,, im sure someone will be able to point u in the right direction,, but iv just learned to live with it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                In the Master Index of Mods document sent to you on joining and
                stored in the group's website at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/files/ there is a
                section named OSC (for Oscillators) which addresses accuracy and
                alignment. With care (and maybe a mod or two), it's possible to get
                accuracy to within 200 Hz (that's 0.2 kHz or 0.0002 MHz). For 11.175
                MHz SSB, the displayed frequency would be in the range 11.1748 to
                11.1752 at zero beat.

                If your DX-394 seems to be consistently accurate at all frequencies
                that are multiples of 5kHz using LSB but has a large error in USB
                that is the same at all these same frequencies, the good news is that
                your 1st and 2nd Local Oscillators are well aligned, your LSB
                resonator for the Beat Frequency Oscillator is also well aligned, but
                the USB resonator is misaligned. Thus you have only one alignment
                adjustment needed.

                Steven, you have confused kHz with MHz - a DX-394 accurate to 0.0015
                KHz, i.e., 1.5 Hz, at all frequencies is next to impossible, given
                the varactor tuning used in the 2nd Local Oscillator. And, of course,
                it does not tune below 150 kHz. "k" or "kilo" is 1,000x and "M"
                or "Mega" is 1,000,000x. The DX-394 displays kHz up to 999.9kHz and
                then switches to MHz at 1.0000MHz; it does not display the unit of
                measurement, presuming the user will recognise the appearance of the
                decimal point 4 digits from the right as meaning MHz. That
                undoubtedly contributes to confusion for those not familiar with
                Standard International Units for frequency.

                An error of 1.5KHz or greater in the BFO will degrade SSB
                demodulation, causing either a very woofy or very squeaky, thin
                tonality.

                Hope this is of some help,

                73, Tom VE3MEO
                --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, steven gibbons <mont633@...>
                wrote:

                > hi,
                > well if ur radio is off by 0.0015khz, yes tune it to 11.1735khz
                > my radio is off by 0.0017 khz so for me to tune to 11.175 id tune
                it to, 11.1733khz.
                > there are others on this group that know lots more about how to
                repair this prob,,, im sure someone will be able to point u in the
                right direction,, but iv just learned to live with it.
                > best regards
                > steven,
                > south west scotland.
                >
                > "John C. Benoist" <john_benoist@...> wrote:
                > My terminology may be incorrect so let me clarify. If I want to
                tune 11175.0 kHz I have to tune down to 11173.5 kHz.

                > Thanks!
              • Ivan Penev
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Obviously, when you give that figure (0.0017) you mean MHz not KHz. In KHz
                  it should be 1.7 KHz.

                  Ivan

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and