Reception Update For New York City

  • Joseph Dubin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2007
      Conditions must be improving because more stations using 31 meters for
      evening broadcasts (around 0000-0400 UTC) which weren't being used the
      past nine months. No problem with signals beamed to North America, in
      fact, majority of signals come in strong and clear albiet, most are non-
      English. Better reception of WWV on 10 Mhz.

      Big increase in evening amateur activity on 41 meters - so much
      conjestion that more SSB are adjacent to international broadcasts and
      requires use of notch and/or RF filters.

      49 meters strong as always.

      Have not had much time to DX during afternoon hours so cannot comment
      but recall 31 and 25 meters quite active for time period. Nice amount
      of signals on 19 meters.

      Hope everything going well in your parts of the country as well.

      73's
      Joe
    • n2chi
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2007
        Hi Joe,
        I'm 100 miles north of you, upriver. I've found that it's getting more
        difficult to find English programming by just tuning around, except for
        the religious stations. Better to know where to look using tools such as
        this one:
        http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/
        GL, Dave

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Dubin" <mjgardenia@...>

      • mjgardenia@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2007
          Hi Dave,

          I also refer to Ralph Sampson's updated schedules for direct tuning onto
          a broadcast, however, it's still good to do a scan because there are
          some transmissions in English that he misses and, at other times,
          broadcasts listed in English that are in different languages instead.
          It's true what you say about the small amount of English broadcasts
          available, which is a shame, but by hearing all those other signals at
          least it's good to know more stations are back on 31 meters and
          propogation is improving.

          Hope DXing good for my friend 100 miles up north.

          73's
          Joe
        • n2chi
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2007
            HI Joe,
            Long time, no see...so to speak. RRR on all. I was also thinking that
            as English began to disappear a bit I began listening more to music on
            shortwave and have enjoyed it very much. In fact, these days I tune SW
            for music more so than English. Great hobby. 73, Dave

          • mjgardenia@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2007
              Hi Dave,

              You know, I've been finding myself listening more to the music as well,
              even if I'm not too sure the region it's originating from.

              Hopefully, the English programming will pick up as time goes on.

              73's always,
              Joe
            • Joseph and Mary Dubin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2009
                Don't know if it's the approach of the spring equinox with it's deeply rooted religious aspects but reception has definitely picked up the past few days. More stations (mostly non-English) are starting to pierce through the noise on 31 and 25 meters between 0000 and 0400 UTC (both were virtually empty before) and even WWV on 10.000 can now be picked up. Activity on 41 meters has also been increased and way more powerful than before 49 has always been strong. 31 meters has also picked up in the morning (1200 UTC).

                Also notice more and more stations transmitting outside the international meter bands. Wonder if they know something?

                Haven't yet had the opportunity to surf 19 and 17 meters during the late afternoon nor the amateur bands.

                Results are with my 394 but hope to also check out the 160 soon. I'm an apartment dweller using two short wire antennas with one connected to a MFJ 1045c amplified pre-selector plus a realistic DSP 40.

                How things around your parts of the world?

                73's

                Joe

              • Joseph and Mary Dubin
                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2009
                  Glad to say reception has picked up tremendously here in New York. Lots of 5x5 evening signals on 31 meters which last month was still quite dead between 0000 and 0500 UTC. Evening is very strong on 41 and 49 meter bands as well with a few decent transmissions caught on 25.

                  40 meters very active morning and night and a handful of early evening USB could also be picked up on 20 (mostly just one end of the chatter). 80 meters, however, seems a little less active than usual.

                  Haven't had the chance to do much afternoon dxing.

                  Like last year, it seems only the summer provides good listening opportunities during this never ending low solar cycle. The 160 seems to have again come back to life and the 394 is really pulling things in quite strongly. The 394 is much more sensitive when it comes to SSB.

                  Also noticed more international stations going back to 31 meters and more and more using frequencies outside the bands (i.e., activity to around 7500 on 41 and as far down as 9.400 on 31) so don't limit scanning to the traditional international band ranges.

                  Live in a sixth floor apartment building. Both the 160 and 394 utilize two outdoor short wires (one horizontal, one vertical) with the vertical attached to a MFJ 1045c amplified pre-selector plus a Realistic DSP-40 noise reducer for the 394. The 394 is modified and includes a selectable IF filter.

                  Hope to learn how it's going in your parts of the country and for our friend Barry across the pond in England.

                  73's
                  Joe

                • Barry
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                    Hello, I have bought a DX394 for my son to use.
                    It has good audio with headphones and with a computer speaker plugged into
                    the ext speaker socket.
                    But on the main speaker it has very low audio.
                    This has come from a SK who I knew, so I was pleased to get it.
                    He was very deaf and only used headphones.
                    I have had a look inside the unit but cannot see if anything has been
                    changed.
                    So the main speaker may be faulty, can anyone advise me on the best
                    replacement?
                    Serial number 000572 B model
                    I am in the UK, Many thanks,
                    Barry
                  • Rob Mills
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                      I once purchased a DX160 with the same problem. I fixed the problem by
                      cleaning the contacts (contact cleaner) within the head phone jack. The
                      headphone jack has a switch that connects and disconnects the speaker as the
                      headphones are plugged in or unplugged. RM~