Condtion in West Coast

  • Shin Yamasaki
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
      Appericiate your condtion report as always...I haven't have too much
      time spend on my radio last few weeks as I was away from home in
      Japan. I came back Monday and still can't find time...But, because of
      jetlag, I have been wide awake in wee hours ( This is 4:22 AM, PST)
      and reading messages here while listening radios. I think bands are
      pretty active right now, a lots of contestgoing on 40M Ham band, I
      hear Korea, Japan, Thai and Australia operaters with S9+. I was also
      happy to be able to hear Radio Thailand (7160Khz) and RRI ( Jakarta,
      Indonesia, 9525khz) both in Japanese, very strong and clear.

      Will try to listen " normal time " here and report soon. I shold go to
      bed....

      73s
    • Hans Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
        Hello Shin and everyone!! Glad to hear that you are enjoying listening to the ham bands! Maybe someday you will hear me ragchewing on ssb although I am primarily a cw fanatic. Best wishes (73s!) to everyone and hve gud DX! de HANS wa1ufo in the White Mtns of New Hampshire

        Shin Yamasaki <shinymsk@...> wrote: Appericiate your condtion report as always...I haven't have too much
        time spend on my radio last few weeks as I was away from home in
        Japan. I came back Monday and still can't find time...But, because of
        jetlag, I have been wide awake in wee hours ( This is 4:22 AM, PST)
        and reading messages here while listening radios. I think bands are
        pretty active right now, a lots of contestgoing on 40M Ham band, I
        hear Korea, Japan, Thai and Australia operaters with S9+. I was also
        happy to be able to hear Radio Thailand (7160Khz) and RRI ( Jakarta,
        Indonesia, 9525khz) both in Japanese, very strong and clear.

        Will try to listen " normal time " here and report soon. I shold go to
        bed....

        73s

        Trim all but the core of this message when replying to keep replies from mushrooming in size.
        For archives of prior messages, files, links, photos, user survey, members info, etc., visit our group on the WWW.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
          Welcome home, Shin. Hope you had a nice time in Japan - visiting
          family? Guess the one advantage of jet lag is being up to catch all
          those stations before the sun and most of us are rising.

          Afternoon DXing definately getting better. Although beamed to North
          America, for months I could barely catch Israel at 2000 UTC. It's now
          on 7.545 Mhz and coming in at about a 35544. 25 meters was quite active
          the same time frame and unlike before (when they were quite noisy and
          fading) afternoon signals beamed to the east coast from Nederlands,
          Russia, RCI, etc. are strong with little or no noise. Also notice the
          appearance of more weak afternoon signals and, while they have
          difficulty cutting through the noise, hopefully these will gain strength
          in the months to come and become more readible.

          More late afternoon activity on 19 meters as well.

          Let's keep our fingers crossed, cause it seems that happy days are here
          again.

          73's always
          Joe
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2007
            Hi Shin, There was indeed a contest this past weekend. It was the
            ARRL International DX Contest. I worked quite a few European
            stations during the contest using a Yaesu FT-817 QRP rig (5 watts
            out) from southeastern Massachusetts, using an MFJ-1899T rig mounted
            whip antenna. This is something I have not been able to do since I
            bought the setup almost a year ago. It was quite fun and, I hope, a
            sign of things to come with the coming of the new sunspot cycle.

            John

            --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Shin Yamasaki"
            <shinymsk@...> wrote:

            > Appericiate your condtion report as always...I haven't have too
            much
            > time spend on my radio last few weeks as I was away from home in
            > Japan. I came back Monday and still can't find time...But, because
            of
            > jetlag, I have been wide awake in wee hours ( This is 4:22 AM, PST)
            > and reading messages here while listening radios. I think bands are
            > pretty active right now, a lots of contestgoing on 40M Ham band, I
            > hear Korea, Japan, Thai and Australia operaters with S9+. I was
            also
            > happy to be able to hear Radio Thailand (7160Khz) and RRI (
            Jakarta,
            > Indonesia, 9525khz) both in Japanese, very strong and clear.
            >
            > Will try to listen " normal time " here and report soon. I shold
            go to
            > bed....
            >
            > 73s

          • Joseph Dubin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
              I figured there was some sort of contest going on since I caught a
              few amateurs trying to raise cq on Sunday.

              --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n1wom@...> wrote:

              > Hi Shin, There was indeed a contest this past weekend. It was the
              > ARRL International DX Contest. I worked quite a few European
              > stations during the contest using a Yaesu FT-817 QRP rig (5 watts
              > out) from southeastern Massachusetts, using an MFJ-1899T rig
              mounted
              > whip antenna. This is something I have not been able to do since I
              > bought the setup almost a year ago. It was quite fun and, I hope,
              > sign of things to come with the coming of the new sunspot cycle.
              >
              > John
              >
              > --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Shin Yamasaki"
              > <shinymsk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Appericiate your condtion report as always...I haven't have too
              > much
              > > time spend on my radio last few weeks as I was away from home in
              > > Japan. I came back Monday and still can't find time...But,
              because
              > of
              > > jetlag, I have been wide awake in wee hours ( This is 4:22 AM,
              PST)
              > > and reading messages here while listening radios. I think bands
              are
              > > pretty active right now, a lots of contestgoing on 40M Ham band, I
              > > hear Korea, Japan, Thai and Australia operaters with S9+. I was
              > also
              > > happy to be able to hear Radio Thailand (7160Khz) and RRI (
              > Jakarta,
              > > Indonesia, 9525khz) both in Japanese, very strong and clear.
              > >
              > > Will try to listen " normal time " here and report soon. I shold
              > go to
              > > bed....
              > >
              > > 73s

            • Shin Yamasaki
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
                No wonder so many stations I heard that night. I was kind of motivated
                to get ham license since then. Although, CW is not necessary for the
                test, I 'd love to operate QRP rigs like you someday, so I need to
                learn CW first. So much to do learn. Until then I will keep listening.

                --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n1wom@...> wrote:

                > Hi Shin, There was indeed a contest this past weekend. It was the
                > ARRL International DX Contest. I worked quite a few European
                > stations during the contest using a Yaesu FT-817 QRP rig (5 watts
                > out) from southeastern Massachusetts, using an MFJ-1899T rig mounted
                > whip antenna.

              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Hey Shin,

                  When I do QRP I usually do it using SSB with great results (I have
                  been running QRP-SSB since I was first licensed back in 1992 as
                  KB5UZV in Louisianna running a Radio Shack HTX-100 at 5 - 25
                  watts). So, you can do QRP without having to use CW although CW is
                  a great and fun mode, I use a straight key on both the FT-840 and FT-
                  817ND.

                  I really enjoy just sitting back and listening to anything I vcan
                  hear on my DX-394 which I purchased back in, I think, 1997 (hard to
                  remember, the mine is the first thing to go, Hi, Hi!).

                  So, get your license and maybe one day we can have a QSO on HF.

                  <shinymsk@...> wrote:

                  > No wonder so many stations I heard that night. I was kind of
                  motivated
                  > to get ham license since then. Although, CW is not necessary for
                  the
                  > test, I 'd love to operate QRP rigs like you someday, so I need to
                  > learn CW first. So much to do learn. Until then I will keep
                  listening.

                  > --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n1wom@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Shin, There was indeed a contest this past weekend. It was
                  the
                  > > ARRL International DX Contest. I worked quite a few European
                  > > stations during the contest using a Yaesu FT-817 QRP rig (5
                  watts
                  > > out) from southeastern Massachusetts, using an MFJ-1899T rig
                  mounted
                  > > whip antenna.

                • renton481
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
                    I heard quite a few hams working the contest on 20 meters saturday
                    afternoon -- and most of the ones I heard were from the NE US for
                    some reason.