Reception Report For New York City

  • Joseph Dubin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi everyone. In the realistic DX forum we exchange reception
      reports to have a better idea of overall conditions throughout the
      country. This is my update from New York City which I wanted to
      share with you.

      Noticed improved evening reception the past few days, however,
      conditions still vary one day to the next. While Channel Africa
      comes in regularly at 0300 UTC on 7.390 one night I got a strong
      catch of France's 0400 UTC broadcast to Africa on 41 meters but the
      next evening found only noise. Last night received a poor copy of
      Argentina's English broadcast on 25 meters. BBC evening
      transmissions to Asia and Africa caught throughtout the bands.
      Overall, there's an increase in evening activity on 31 meters but
      English still very limited. Those signals beamed to North America
      on 31 meters a little stronger compared to December but the real
      activity is still centered on 41 and 49 meters. 25 meters mostly
      noise.

      Afternoon reception from the Middle East is good. Israel's 2000 UTC
      North American broadcast on 7.545 still noisy but strength is
      stronger as well as second bounces from Channel Africa, Radio Cairo
      and All India Radio. Stronger stations like Deutchwella,
      Nederlands, Russia, etc. coming through nicely. France tougher to
      catch during the day. While faint at night, CHU on 41 meters now
      stronger during the day, as is WWV on 10.000 and 15.000 Mhz.

      Good SSB on 41 meters throughout the day but 20 meters still so-so
      in afternoon. 80 meters picks up after 0200 UTC but noisy in
      spots.

      I have DX 394A modified by Lowbander (which includes a selectable
      filter) attached to an amplified MFJ 1045c pre-selector, 50 foot
      outdoor wire (stretched underneath the windows of my sixth floor
      apartment) and RS external DSP.

      Hope this information is helpful and would anyone else like to
      provide the same for this group of 394 users on a periodic basis?

      73's,
      Joe