New Toys - 1. Miracle Whip

  • Tom Holden VE3MEO
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006

      This is OT but I'm bursting to tell you all about my new toys, and one of them could be used with the DX-394 - that's the Miracle Whip antenna from Miracle Antenna ( http://www.miracleantenna.com/ ). The other is a Yaesu FT-817ND QRP transceiver with which I have tried the MW and have some comparisons to make to the DX-394.

      First the Miracle Whip. What a great combo of a high grade 57" whip and a one-knob tuner. It really peaks the MW and SW bands on the FT-817ND. Have not tried A/B comparisons with the DX-394's stock whip but I'll bet the MW beats it when it comes to overload, 1st IF imaging problems and,  at twice the length,  sensitivity. Only problem is that it won't fit the DX-394 very well because the MW is so small and the radio's SO-239 connector is a little too far from either its top or side making the MW's tuning knob hard to access.

      A more versatile package from Miracle Antenna uses the same tuner but allows you to connect a rubber ducky, a dipole, random wire or anything else via a BNC connector. The Miracle Ducker PL is otherwise identical to the Miracle Antenna; the Miracle Ducker II is designed to go inline with a co-ax extender so its tuning knob would be accessible.

      There's already a picture of a DX-394 with a Miracle Whip on the website. I can't remember who or where I got it from but have a look:

      The MW is not a substitute for a high, wide and clear radiating element but for sheer portable convenience, it can't be beat!

      Now onto #2 - the FT-817...

      73, Tom VE3MEO

    • Valveman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hi Tom;
        The picture is of my easy listening set-up using the
        miracle whip antenna.

        It's a nice receiving antenna and does work well with
        my QRP gear for a compromise transceiving antenna up
        to 25W.

        Robert VE3RPF

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tom Holden VE3MEO
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006

          Tom VE3MEO

          P.S. after labouring over my FT-817ND message, I accidentally deleted the entire content just as I was about to post it - aaaarrrrgggghhh