Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] "B" specification

  • tony francis smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2001
      Hello, I bought a DX-394 recently and noticed that it was a 'B' model. Not
      having used a non 'B' model I can't really say. However the original DX-394
      commenced production way back in 1995. These early models were (so the say)
      made in Japan. Most later models (like the 'B') are made in China! So I
      would think that this is the answer. Personally I would prefer the 'made in
      Japan' model but, don't have any complaints with my Chinese model. The
      specifications are the same for each model. The problem with the SSB
      alignment is something that you see with a lot of radios of this sort. I
      will endeavor to find out about the trimmer adjustments and report on same.
      If there is anyone out there living in Australia, the Tandy stores are
      ridding themselves of the last of their DX-394 models for aus$249. This
      equates to approx. us$125! This is really a great buy.

      73's Tony Smith. Australia

      Ps. I use Icom R71A and Panasonic 4800D (amongst others) and am more than
      pleased with the DX-394...great little radio. I still have an original
      DX-200 in pristine condition and this was my 1st serious short-wave
      receiver.

      ----------

    • abbnaklie@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2001
        Hi Julian,

        A Ham freind of mine told me to buy the "B" model because it had many
        modifications/improvements although I don't know what they are other
        than better sensitivity and selectivity. I had to hit 4 Radio Shacks
        in the area before finding a "B" since that catalogue number is no
        different for the B than any other previous model. I bought mine based
        on the Radio Netherland review of the original 394
        (http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/dx394.html) and what my good ham friend
        told me. I added a DSP-40 unit (RS #21-543)shortly after getting the
        394 - it and the stock number were mentioned numerous times in another
        newsgroups so I got one since here in Canada in was only $59.99
        (Canadian $$$).

        Hope this helps
        Abb

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@y..., djuljon@y... wrote:
        > I 'm considering buying a dx394 . Somewhere I read it's best to get
        > the B model as this is better .Can anyone please :
        > 1) Tell me the cut off date approx . for the introduction of the B
        > model .
        > 2) What improvements there are over the older model?
        >
        > Regards , Julian
      • tony francis smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2001
          Hello everyone, a happy and Holy Easter to all.

          I'm sure you'll find that the 'B' model is simply 'made in China' as
          against 'made in Japan'.
          Can anyone tell me more about the Radio Shack DSP-40 unit. Is this some
          sort of digital signal processor? Can anyone send details and picture if
          possible to my personal email address? Has anyone tried the amplified
          antenna unit (Radio Shack #200-0280. this is the cat. # here in Australia)
          with the DX-394? or any other radio for that matter.

          73's Tony OMEGA@...

          Ps. Someone asked about the DX-394 availablity in Australia. There are
          about 80 sets left in the whole country. Our dollar has been fluctuating
          quite alot lately. $150u.s. at the moment can buy them here in Australia.
          If someone was desperate for one I could probably purchase one for them. Of
          course there would be freight to consider.