Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Re: scanning memory freqs

  • Robert Finnis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004

      I don't think you can do what you want to do with a DX394, as it's not really a scanner type receiver.  Probably the only way to do it would be to control it with a computer.  This requires some extra (experimental) hardware to be attached to the radio.  For a quick solution, you are probably better off using another radio to do the scanning.

      There was a mention some time ago about using a VHS machine to record part of the spectrum.  If you have a broadcast schedule, you could record the day and just process it later?

      As an aside; I've found a general purpose computer interface for radios.  It was originally desiged for the Radio Shack/Realistic range of PRO scanners, but should be adaptable for others.

      PROgramit

      It basically "types" on the keypad.  Could be used on the 394 for direct freq entry.  Probably requires extra bits to control the mode.  I don't know if it would be any use?

      Robert
    • Tom Holden VE3MEO
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Finnis" <home@r...>
        wrote:
        > I don't think you can do what you want to do with a DX394, as it's
        not really a scanner type receiver. Probably the only way to do it
        would be to control it with a computer. This requires some extra
        (experimental) hardware to be attached to the radio. For a quick
        solution, you are probably better off using another radio to do the
        scanning.

        The DX-394 only scans in selectable steps between two programmable
        frequency limits. So it is a basic scanning receiver but because it
        does not scan many programmable memories, it is not up to the
        scanning capabilities of what we normally call "scanners". Rodney's
        idea of a timer driving the button closures would provide an ability
        to scan any one of thirteen banks of 10 memories. The most general
        solution would be to adapt the DX-394 to computer control as you say.
        This has been done by me, Laurent Beaulieu and Russ Hellar -
        descriptions to be found at our offspring
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX-394C/ .

        > There was a mention some time ago about using a VHS machine to
        record part of the spectrum. If you have a broadcast schedule, you
        could record the day and just process it later?

        Yes, I mentioned that and have since seen a family of broadband RF
        recorders based on hard drives. Of course, the DX-394 would have
        nothing to do with the recording but might be used to tune through
        the output of the recorder.

        > As an aside; I've found a general purpose computer interface for
        radios. It was originally desiged for the Radio Shack/Realistic
        range of PRO scanners, but should be adaptable for others.

        > PROgramit
        > http://www.qsl.net/ka2pyj/
        >
        > It basically "types" on the keypad. Could be used on the 394 for
        direct freq entry. Probably requires extra bits to control the
        mode. I don't know if it would be any use?

        An interesting link, Robert. The software is probably not so very
        advantageous with the DX-394 in that it does not add scanning control
        on first reading; primarily it is used to load lists of frequencies
        into the scanner memories; you then use the radio's scanning tools
        normally. The hardware interface is relevant and is probably similar
        to Russ Hellar's and Laurent Beaulieu's for the DX-394. Theirs are
        more complete and appropriate but the principles are the same.

        I invite anyone who is interested in computer control to join DX-394C.

        73, Tom