Re: SSB info

  • kd4fnc
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 6:16 AM
      The resonators are known to often be way off frequency- enough to make
      sideband reception seem dead. The BFO uses a simple Colpitts
      oscillator and substituting a crystal should work fine. An old
      miniature 455 IF can's primary is also a simple 'bolt in' and you can
      tune it to what works best or you can make make it variable with a
      varicap and a pot (see photos). If you install a good narrow SB
      filter, you will need to move the BFO frequency anyway as Tom indicates.
      Substituting an IF can for the bad resonator is the cheapest, fastest
      way to restore operation. A crystal is a neater solution if you can
      find one. Good luck.
      KD4FNC Bill Beamon