Re: New to shortwave

  • Tom Holden VE3MEO
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "surge031" <surge031@y...>
      wrote:
      > I just heard about the DX-394 and how great it is, so I have been
      > looking around on ebay to buy one. I saw some pretty expensive(to
      > me ) ones with alot of mods for over $215. What I'll like to know
      is,
      > are those mods really important and helpful? Is a regular DX-394
      > right out of the box just as good as the modded ones? Im on yahoo
      > messenger (surge031) so feel free to pm me or leave me an offline
      > message.
      > Thanks

      A well modified DX-394 is noticeably superior to an unmodified one.
      The two most significant ones are the Crosstalk mod and one of the IF
      filter mods (Kiwa or Poor Man's Kiwa) for improved selectivity on AM.
      Other significant improvements can be made outside the box and there
      are many inside mods that are unique to SSB/CW or appeal to a
      narrower set of users.

      The spread between the average selling price on eBay for extensively
      modified and mostly unmodified DX-394's over the last couple of
      months is about US$95. The materials cost for most of the offered
      mods is pretty small, from 0 for the chuffing and beep-beep mods (the
      latter is not really a mod, it's a user option), through a few cents
      or dimes for mods involving resistors, capacitors and diodes, to $16-
      $20 or so for a Kiwa filter and for documentation kits (service
      manual, schematic, CD-ROM of mods and software), if included. So most
      of the spread reflects labour.

      If you can do the mods yourself, then you can save much of that
      spread and learn a lot more about the radio. Otherwise, you'll have
      to decide if it's worth paying the higher price. The most prolific DX-
      394 upgrader on eBay is lowbander - he sells almost 1 a week and has
      an excellent feedback rating. Some of his are re-sold later by a
      buyer.

      73, Tom VE3MEO