Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Re: RS DSP 40

  • miles mitchell
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002

      From: ted hay
      Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 8:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] Re: RS DSP 40

      The DSP should be able to notch out a continuous tone, mine will, perhaps your in the wrong mode? Any DSP unit I have used seem to require a high amount of drive to make it work, so I'm not surprised the rec out jack doesn't have the drive. I would agree about the built in speaker, its small and not really up to habdling 5 watts of audio. Did they close at $30 in your area?  I paid $20 plus tax for mine, and I agree at the full list price it would be disapointing.  You have 30 days to return it if unsatisfyed if the normal radioshack policy applies.

      Ted

        Iv'e been away in California, and have just caught up with my E-mails, I bought the DSP unit for $50Cdn. and have tried it out on the 394, I agree the three filters are somehat useful and the amp allows me to put a better speaker through the 394 . but how do you operate the notch?could you walk me through it, the only notch I'm familiar with is on my Drake and that took me a long time to learn how to use properly

         Thanks Miles

      yah0ldena wrote:

       I, too, got sucked in by the Shack's clearances - first a DX-394 (A
      model) and then a DSP. Not sure if I got the same model - no apparent
      auto notch and certainly no tunable notch which would be really useful
      (what freq could an auto-notch decide on?). I was disappointed at the
      mismatch in its input sensitivity and the output levels available
      from the DX-394 - both the tape output and the headphone output arec
      too low, the latter requiring the Volume to be cranked up high. I was
      disapponted in the sound quality from the built-in speaker - my DX-
      394's sounds better (bigger box and I've done the 470uF mod). I like
      the extra audio selectivity choices. Haven't used it much and have
      not found much solace from the noise blanker (nor from the
      receiver's). Would have been nice if it included a 12V wall wart
      power supply. It's definitely worth $30 but I would have regretted
      paying original list.

      Tom, VE3MEO

      --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@y..., ted hay <tedh1@s...> wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > I bought one of those dsp 40 for $20 on clearence just for the fact
      that
      > it can notch a single tone automatically.  Also offers bandwith
      filters
      > that are somewhat useable.  The noise reduction doesn't seem to me
      to be
      > of great value.  The unit is also a audio amp, might be good for
      noisy
      > mobile enviroments.  For the clearence price you can not go to far
      > wrong, but don't try to compare it to a $400 unit.  A soundcard and
      dsp
      > program might be as good or better, I never experimented but then
      this
      > is a standalone unit.
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > milesmitchell999 wrote:
      >
      > >  Hi,
      > >   I joined the group a couple of weeks ago, as I had picked up a
      DX-
      > > 394 for a $100.Cdn while I was shopping at RS for connectors ,it
      was
      > > the display model and came with no antenna, box or manual. I had
      no
      > > intention of buying one but at that price I couldn't resist.
      > > However, I have been pleasantly suprised, as I find that anything
      my
      > > high end receivers pick up, so can my DX-394, I may not get great
      > > copy as their are no bells or whistles, but it does the job. Which
      > > brings me to my point, to improve the radios performance, I intend
      > > to do the mods,but has anybody hooked up the RS DSP 40 to the 394?
      > > And can anyone tell me how it performs in regard to the radio?
      their
      > > on sale at RS Canada at the moment and I was wondering if it's
      worth
      > > buying one.
      > >              Thanks Miles.

      Service.

    • ted hay
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        Its a auto notch, works in noise reduction mode, and SSb mode.  The easy way to create a het to notch is tune a AM broadcast station in USB or USB on your reciever and misstune the station, eg  800Khz tune to 798 Khz and you'll have a tone if your on the right sideband, then bring the DSP into line. The tone should be gone or next to it.  Pretty much no operator input to make it function.  I hope I explained it well enough.  The auto notch doesn't work in CW mode as it would notch the CW tones.

        How long ago did you buy your DSP?  I thing Radioshack offers 30 days price protection, it might be worth persueing it.

        Ted

        yah0ldena wrote:

         I, too, got sucked in by the Shack's clearances - first a DX-394 (A
        model) and then a DSP. Not sure if I got the same model - no apparent
        auto notch and certainly no tunable notch which would be really useful
        (what freq could an auto-notch decide on?). I was disappointed at the
        mismatch in its input sensitivity and the output levels available
        from the DX-394 - both the tape output and the headphone output arec
        too low, the latter requiring the Volume to be cranked up high. I was
        disapponted in the sound quality from the built-in speaker - my DX-
        394's sounds better (bigger box and I've done the 470uF mod). I like
        the extra audio selectivity choices. Haven't used it much and have
        not found much solace from the noise blanker (nor from the
        receiver's). Would have been nice if it included a 12V wall wart
        power supply. It's definitely worth $30 but I would have regretted
        paying original list.

        Tom, VE3MEO

        --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@y..., ted hay <tedh1@s...> wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I bought one of those dsp 40 for $20 on clearence just for the fact
        that
        > it can notch a single tone automatically.  Also offers bandwith
        filters
        > that are somewhat useable.  The noise reduction doesn't seem to me
        to be
        > of great value.  The unit is also a audio amp, might be good for
        noisy
        > mobile enviroments.  For the clearence price you can not go to far
        > wrong, but don't try to compare it to a $400 unit.  A soundcard and
        dsp
        > program might be as good or better, I never experimented but then
        this
        > is a standalone unit.
        >
        > Ted
        >
        > milesmitchell999 wrote:
        >
        > >  Hi,
        > >   I joined the group a couple of weeks ago, as I had picked up a
        DX-
        > > 394 for a $100.Cdn while I was shopping at RS for connectors ,it
        was
        > > the display model and came with no antenna, box or manual. I had
        no
        > > intention of buying one but at that price I couldn't resist.
        > > However, I have been pleasantly suprised, as I find that anything
        my
        > > high end receivers pick up, so can my DX-394, I may not get great
        > > copy as their are no bells or whistles, but it does the job. Which
        > > brings me to my point, to improve the radios performance, I intend
        > > to do the mods,but has anybody hooked up the RS DSP 40 to the 394?
        > > And can anyone tell me how it performs in regard to the radio?
        their
        > > on sale at RS Canada at the moment and I was wondering if it's
        worth
        > > buying one.
        > >              Thanks Miles.

        Service.