Re: [RADIOSHACKDX394] dual LF-D6 filters

  • Andy Hearn
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      I would say entirely reasonable, most of these filters exhibit a 2dB loss with around a 1dB riple. So 2 in cascade...

      73

      Andy G3UEQ
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        Wow I never realized that. I don't deal much with
        crystal filters and mainly design of DSP filters where
        attenuation of the signal is compensated via left
        shifts before the signal is sent to the D/A converter.

        I suppose amplification after the filter is necessary
        to obtain enough signal strength.

        Thank you for taking the time to clear this up.

        Robert VE3RPF

        --- Andy Hearn <a.hearn@...> wrote: > I would
        say entirely reasonable, most of these
        > filters exhibit a 2dB loss with around a 1dB riple.
        > So 2 in cascade...
        >

        > 73
        >
        > Andy G3UEQ

      • Andy Hearn
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          Robert

          You digital guys have it easy, I am one of the old analogue guys, spent years in R&D designing analogue signal processors for foetal monitors, then a young guy joins with knowledge of the 6080 processor that he learnt about in colledge,  in 2  weeks he's written a program that took us 6 months to work out in analogue terms...you guys ain't lived..hi!

          73

          Andy
          Wow I never realized that.  I don't deal much with
          crystal filters and mainly design of DSP filters where
          attenuation of the signal is compensated via left
          shifts before the signal is sent to the D/A converter.

          I suppose amplification after the filter is necessary
          to obtain enough signal strength.

          Thank you for taking the time to clear this up.

          Robert VE3RPF

          --- Andy Hearn <a.hearn@...> wrote: > I would
          say entirely reasonable, most of these
          > filters exhibit a 2dB loss with around a 1dB riple.
          > So 2 in cascade...
          >

          > 73
          >
          > Andy G3UEQ

        • Valveman
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            Hi Andy;

            I should clarify. I have worked with alot of analog
            systems but that was a long time ago and yes now work
            mostly digital. I've have forgotten some of the
            nuances associated with analogue filters. Perhaps
            time to open some of my books and get reaquainted.

            Yes you're correct it can be much easier to design a
            digital filter but it becomes a chore to clean-up some
            of the artifacts generated that you don't get with an
            analogue filter. That's where the real work comes in.

            Cheers,
            Robert VE3RPF

            --- Andy Hearn <a.hearn@...> wrote: > Robert

            > You digital guys have it easy, I am one of the old
            > analogue guys, spent years in R&D designing analogue
            > signal processors for foetal monitors, then a young
            > guy joins with knowledge of the 6080 processor that
            > he learnt about in colledge, in 2 weeks he's
            > written a program that took us 6 months to work out
            > in analogue terms...you guys ain't lived..hi!
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Andy

          • Andy Hearn
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
              Robert

              I did guess your background, the only thing I have got my head round is the PIC chip, and a bit of code to keep my repeater GB3CC happy..still you have to laugh!

              All the best

              Andy

              I should clarify.  I have worked with alot of analog
              systems but that was a long time ago and yes now work
              mostly digital.  I've have forgotten some of the
              nuances associated with analogue filters.  Perhaps
              time to open some of my books and get reaquainted.

              Yes you're correct it can be much easier to design a
              digital filter but it becomes a chore to clean-up some
              of the artifacts generated that you don't get with an
              analogue filter.  That's where the real work comes in.

              Cheers,
              Robert VE3RPF

              --- Andy Hearn <a.hearn@...> wrote: > Robert

              > You digital guys have it easy, I am one of the old
              > analogue guys, spent years in R&D designing analogue
              > signal processors for foetal monitors, then a young
              > guy joins with knowledge of the 6080 processor that
              > he learnt about in colledge,  in 2  weeks he's
              > written a program that took us 6 months to work out
              > in analogue terms...you guys ain't lived..hi!
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Andy

            • Tom Holden
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
                In power terms, yes. As far as sensitivity goes, it's the difference between 1 microvolt and 1.55 microvolt for the same audio output level - not particularly significant below 11 MHz where atmospheric noise is predominant. But look at the shape factor and the suppression well away from the centre frequency - way better than the stock AM filter. If the insertion loss is objectionable, it could be made up with an op amp.

                Mike has posted a photo of the installed filters in the Photos section. I'll relocate it to Files > Mods > IF after a while. He sells the filters at a very reasonable price - I keep meaning to order one to use ahead of the outboard synch detector after the stock filters just to keep the off frequency suppression high.

                73, Tom VE3MEO