8062Re: Metal Covers

  • Tom H
    Jan 11 10:56 AM
      Thanks for your comments, Tim.

      The challenge to achieving the most effective shielding of the 394 is to completely enclose it with electrostatic and ferro-magnetic material. The chassis or frame is good material but only 3-sided. The plastic lids can be replaced or supplemented by electro-magnetic material as has been done in a variety of ways. If well-connected to the frame, a 5-sided enclosure is the result.

      Unfortunately, that still leaves the front which is basically plastic and the logic pc board. The ground lands of the latter may provide some shielding but it is impossible to close the box with material between the front panel and the frame - too many things penetrate the plane. Likewise, holes for the loudspeaker, ventilation, power cord degrade the shields.

      The most effective shield would be an enclosure around the whole radio, power it from a battery within the enclosure and have an access door (a compromise) to reach the controls. The shielded coax from the antenna would pass through a coaxial feed through connector. Not very appealing operationally.

      Re your first comment, Alfred Santee is an alias for Ernie Rice which might be an alias for...

      Tom, ve3meo

      --- In RADIOSHACKDX394@yahoogroups.com, "T. Hills" <thills@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > That's "Alf"'s addy, not Ernie's ;)
      >
      > I had the same experience with the 160s and other receivers with
      > internal loopsticks, some worked better than others. The metal
      > chassis/box types like the 160 using the same sheet metal you mentioned
      > between the fiberboard back and case and moving/retuning the loopstick
      > worked rather well for local noise and strong local BC but not good
      > enough for DX work. I wound up using tuned inductors out of an old
      > Ray-Jefferson DF unit and now with the antenna inputs shorted it's very
      > quiet on HF though I still get some from the local MWBC stations.
      >
      > The same mod did not work well at all with Copper plated Steel flashing
      > on the plastic cased 440 I tried it on. The loopstick on the 440 isn't
      > tuned and disconnects but there was still very little noise reduction on
      > MW and HF.
      >
      > I suppose one could build a metal case for the 394. Shouldn't be that
      > hard if someone had a bending brake and drill press ;) One of these days
      > I'll get another 394 and maybe give it a try..
      >
      > Tim Hills
      > Sioux Falls, SD

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic