7993Re: WBCQ (was "Hollow" sound with TWO Antennas)

  • c dorcey
    Oct 7, 2013
      I tuned up on WBCQ one night with my "better" radio (a Kenwood TS-940S transceiver).  Since WBCQ is a broadcast station, I was in AM mode, of course.  However, sometimes I can get a better sound by selecting one sideband or the other, depending on the interference conditions, and I was astonished to hear that WBCQ had NO lower sideband!  I don't have a spectrum analyzer to visually prove this, but switching from USB to LSB made the signal almost inaudible.  Unlike the suppressed-carrier SSB modulation that hams use, WBCQ must have been radiating enough unmodulated carrier to support AM demodulation, but that might explain something of the odd audio you report.  If I had tried this with my DX-394, I would have had to retune every time I switched sidebands, because the BFOs were badly off-frequency, and I might not have been able to zero-beat the main carrier very well, because the DX-394 tuning increment is so small.  But the TS-940 has 10 Hz tuning, and proper sideband processing.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic