Teachings of the Radhasoami Faith: The Supreme Being

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 9:50 PM
      Teachings of the Radhasoami Faith: The Supreme Being

      Concept of the Supreme Being

      Soamiji's Supreme Being is formless, indescribable, unfathomable, endless and nameless. He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. His attributes are grace, mercy, love, light, bliss and peace. He is all-pure and all-spiritual and as such far beyond the reach of mind and matter. When manifested, He is known as Sat Purush Radhasoami and this name, according to Soamiji, has been given by the Supreme Being Himself who is the ultimate and highest reality. In his writings, Soamiji has often elicited the relation of a devotee with the Supreme Being with the help of such similes as were used by medieval Saints and Mystics. He did not challenge the existence of the Brahman and His Avatars of Hinduism or the God of Christianity or the Allah of Islam. [See passage below on "God-Beyond-God", on The Nameless One of the Saints, Masters and Mystics]  He only contends that the regions of their origin are lower than that of Sat Purush Radhasoami and are not absolutely free from maya; hence it would be wrong to conceive any one of them as Supreme Being. According to him, Radhasoami is the highest authority and the Lord of them all. No one except the Saints could conceive Him. The Saints alone have the knowledge of the purely spiritual region beyond the limits of maya.

      Concept of Creation

      According to Soamiji, before the creation, the Supreme Being was in a state of sunn samadhi -- ellipsoid. Through His mauj (divine will) or inner vibrations, a spiritual Current with a resonant Sound emanated from Him and created the spiritual grand division or the Nirmal-Chaitanya Desh or the Fourth Region. Beginning from Radhasoami Pad, it created first the Agam Lok, then the Alakh Lok and finally the Sat Lok. He describes these regions as Refulgent having pure spirituality, bliss, love and peace. Radhasoami Pad -- the highest of these regions -- is so infinite and fathomless, that it cannot be styled as a "place". Soamiji considers the Fourth Region as indissoluble because of its all-pervading spiritual attributes.

      Below Satlok, Soamiji in conformity with the Hindu concept, believes in the three regions of creation, One of the emanations of Sat Purush known as Kal, who possessed mind and matter, was provided with spiritual energy (adya) which he required for creation through thc grace of Kal Purush. Kal with adya (prominent spiritual energy) and with akshar purush (latent spiritual energy) created Brahmand, the second grand division. Its important regions are Sunna, Trikuti and Sahas dal Kanwal. Spiritual components dominated the Brahmand but pure matter (maya) was discernible there. Brahmand is the seat of Universal Mind and the five tattvas and the three gunas emanated from there. Kal and adya, then, assumed the forms of Niranjan and Jyoti to create the third grand division known as And Desh or the three sub-regions of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. In the end, Pinda Desh was created which consisted of the six ganglia and nine apertures pertaining to the physical body. Soamiji propounds that the spirit entity [soul] is encased in the pinda (material world and physical body) and has thus fallen a prey to Kal's oppressions and exploitations.

      (The Radhasoami Faith -- A Historical Study, Vikas Publishing, Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore, London)

      God-Beyond-God, Formless, Timeless -- The Nameless One

      "You were saying that you have already come across the concept of God-beyond-God," remarked the Master as we proceeded along a dazzling white flower-bordered boulevard.

      "Yes, Master," I replied. "I had previously tried to pursue the subject when I sojourned in the Astral Realm of the Nightmusic, but my moves in this direction were met with some negative reactions. So many people were afraid of the profound questions raised by this concept that they assured me that they had seen God themselves. They protested that God was final, and that was all there was to it, for nothing existed beyond Him. I certainly had to admit that it was most difficult to comprehend God existing beyond God; but you, Sir, infer that this is indeed so."

      "Yes, it is most emphatically so," answered the great Master, smiling benignly at some children who regarded us with friendly curiosity. "And in order that you may progress quickly and surely on the rest of your journey, I will take you into my confidence. I can assure you my friend, that God does exist beyond God, and you will soon prove this to your own satisfaction."

      "Well, Master," I said, "those who assured me that they had seen God themselves stated that such a concept is impossible, for, they argued, how can God exist beyond God? Obviously he can, for you have told me that he most certainly does, and I trust your word implicitly."

      "There are many deities in the cosmic scheme of life," said the Master. "One of these deities dwells in this great cosmic city. You will have noticed that the city curves like a great crescent into the environs of a cosmic mountain of light, and upon that mountain is the palace of the ruler of this realm. Many people look upon him as the supreme deity; God Himself. And yet he is not even the highest deity in this region, for he is subservient to another god, who has his high domain in the causal realm beyond this place. In fact, in relation to the deity who rules this cosmic city, the causal god could be termed God-beyond-God. And yet he is not, for he is still a secondary deity, the lord of the universes of mind and matter. Beyond the causal realm are higher and more spiritual deities. The one purpose of spreading the rumor concerning the profound truth of God-beyond-God is to make people understand that they will constantly return to the pain and the suffering of the physical world until they have undergone the experience of God who exists beyond God. God-beyond-God is ultimately the Nameless One.

      (The Pilgrimage of James -- An Odyssey of Inner Space, George Arnsby Jones, Peacehaven Press)

      The Most High God is The Nameless One or Anami -- Radhasoami

      He-Who-Is is ineffable. No principle knew him, no authority, no subjection, nor any creature from the foundation of the world, except he alone. For he is immortal and eternal, having no birth; for everyone who has birth will perish. He is unbegotten, having no beginning; for everyone who has a beginning has an end. No one rules over him.....He is Nameless.

      (Some in mystical expressions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islamic Sufism have had a similar understanding about the True and Merciful God, the God of Grace, Love, Spirit and Truth (Haq, Sat) -- above law and karma -- being above and beyond a lesser emanation, sometimes called "the Demiurge" (equivalent to the usage of the term "Kal" in the East). The passage above is from a Gnostic Master by the name of of Eugnostos on the Supreme Abba Father or God-Beyond-God, from a Gnostic gospel called, Eugnostos the Blessed, in, "The Nag Hammadi Library In English", Edited by James M. Robinson, Harper Collins)

      Bhajan of Tulsi Sahab

      There is a Being who is inaccessible, unfathomable and nameless, and who has no locality, location and address, and is not confined to space. No question of Laksh or Alaksh or manifested or unmanifested, arises about His Abode. So, how can poor worldly people know of Him? Only Sants see His ways. That Immovable Being is all by Himself and has no form or name. Neither Atma not Parmatma could recognize His region. Neither Brahm, nor jivas, nor inanimate beings or creation are to be found in that region, and no sun or moon or land or sky exists there. There is neither Pinda nor Brahmand in that region, nay, not even Sat Lok has a place there. That Lord remains beyond Sat Lok. He is above all and Nameless, in whom Saints merge.

      Says Tulsi that He can perceive the ways of that Lord. He has described that Nameless Being only after seeing Him and knowing about Him.

      (Param Sant Tulsi Sahab of Hathras, India)

      I behold the inaccessibly exalted Radhasoami Anami (Nameless Being). How can words describe the high status of Radhasoami!

      Repeat the Holy Word RADHASOAMI all the time. Recite RADHASOAMI all the twenty-four hours.

      Radhasoami dwells in my heart every moment.
      To whom may I speak about grace and mercy of Radhasoami?

      (Soami Ji Maharaj, "Sar Bachan Radhasoami Poetry," Vol. 1)