Without a Master

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2006
      Without a Master

      Meditation Sangat:
      Radhasoami Reality:

      Without a Master
      All scriptures are like the whispering of ghosts.
      -- Tukarama

      Spiritual seeking has the not-so-modest goal of revealing nothing
      less than the Divine, the Truth or Ultimate Reality. For far less
      modest goals than this we would not dare attempt their achievement
      without a qualified teacher. Our universities and the degrees they
      confer bear witness to this fact. For example, we would never
      attempt to acquire the skills of a professional airline pilot with
      mere reading, nor would we dare take instructions from someone who
      himself had never flown. Common sense requires that we approach
      subjects such as aviation or any number of other technical subjects
      with the help of skillful teachers and tried and true curricula. Why
      then would we assume that the highest and arguably the most
      difficult of all goals could be achieved without a teacher or
      guide? -- Don Howard

      The appropriate spiritual teacher should be a person who has
      considered and discovered the realities of atma and anatma (bondage
      and liberation), and who practices a spiritual path. Such a teacher
      should have attained direct experience of Truth through spiritual
      disciplines. This is teacher you should take instruction from. The
      grace of teacher is also necessary for success in the spiritual
      pursuit. When you learn the methods for inner meditation, you should
      practice diligently. Moral rectitude is also very essential in this
      pursuit. -- Shri Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj

      The one who has purity of character, who practices
      diligently the Yoga of Sound, and who can explain
      *clearly* Sant Mat (all the Teachings of the Masters
      with nothing missing), can be accepted and trusted
      as Satguru/Teacher. -- Maharishi Mehi

      Going Within

      A true Master unites us with God
      And shows all within the body.
      Within the body is the Creator.
      And within the body is Onkar
      [Onkar/OMkar: inner Sound
      at the second region known as Trikuti]
      The sky is within the body, and close by
      Is the earth within the body.
      Within the body are the sun and
      the moon,
      And the bagpipe is played within the body.

      All cosmic abodes were shown to me
      within the body, proclaimeth Dadu.
      None can see them without dedication
      to Guru through thought, word and deed.

      The body is the storehouse of celestial
      centers.
      Wondrous plays are going on within.
      Let no one make a mistake. Take
      the company of the Satguru, sayeth Dadu.

      The Creator is within the body.
      That treasure thou knowest not.
      Find the true lover of Guru,
      And all will be found within the body.

      Within the body cultivate gladness,
      And within it develop affection.
      Within the body find the Nectar of Love.
      This is what a true lover of Guru does,
      sayeth Dadu.

      Inner worship alone is the true worship. It is the only
      effective means of seeing God face to face.

      After entering within, let one, 0 Dadu,
      bolt the doors of the house.
      Let one, 0 Dadu, serve the Lord at the Door of Eternity.
      God is within the self,
      His worship alone is to be done.

      Search thou for the Beloved close to the place
      Wherefrom the Sound emerges, and thou
      shalt find Him, sayeth Dadu.
      There is solitude there, and there is luster of Light.

      God is within the self;
      He is close to the worshiper.
      But leaving Him aside,
      men serve external constructions,
      lamenteth Dadu.

      This is the mosque, this is the temple,
      So hath the Master shown.
      The service and salutation are performed
      within.

      -- Dadu,
      Encyclopedia of Saints of India, Volume 25:
      Sant Dadu Dayal
      Criterion Publications
      New Delhi