Radhaswami Satsang For the Week of January 1st-7th, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      Radhaswami Satsang For the Week of January 1st-7th, 2006

      BELOW

      1) The Three Levels of Satsang, Discourse by Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj;

      2) Lyrics of Swami Ji Maharaj in Persian translated into English;

      3) "Ceaselessly the Star Shimmers" -- A Mystic-Poem from the
      Padavali of Sant Namdev

      4) Happy New Year -- Radhasoami!

      1)

      Three Levels of Satsang

      The word satsang is comprised of two words sat and sang. What is
      sat?

      Sat is that which can never be destroyed. It is the essential
      element which is indestructible and beyond the limitations of time.
      And it is Truth. Sang means association or contact. Thus association
      or coming in contact with Sat or Truth is satsang.

      In the Bhagavad Gita Lord Krishna says:

      "Whatever is Truth always exists and is never non-existent. That
      which is non-Truth has no existence whatsoever."

      * The First Kind of Satsang (Association with the Divine)

      What is this element which is indestructible, has always been
      constant and will forever remain as such? That element is the
      Supreme Being of the universe. Association with this Being, in
      reality, is association with Truth (satsang). But, what is it that
      would associate with this Supreme Being? Is it the body or the
      senses? The answer is that it is neither of these two. It is only
      apart from the body and senses that we will be able to associate
      with the Supreme Being. This is because it is only our soul that is
      an inseparable part of the Divine. It is only we (our soul) that is
      capable of merging with the Divine. Our individual soul is truth,
      and also, the Supreme is Truth. True satsang is the unity of the
      soul with the Supreme Truth. This is the highest kind of sat-sang.
      However, this highest kind of satsang, unity with the Divine, does
      not occur all of a sudden. This category of satsang requires many
      lifetimes of good actions and spiritual imprints (samskaras).

      * The Second Kind of Sat-sang (Association with the Saints)

      Sant Tulsidas says:

      "The association of the saints brings association with the Divine,
      and alliance with people who are engrossed in the world leads the
      way back to this world again and again."

      To attain Ultimate Liberation it is essential to have association
      with the saints. Saints, having realized the true form of God,
      become that True Form. The accomplished great beings who have
      attained unity with the Divine, and who have experienced the Supreme
      Being even while living in this body, have become the Supreme Being
      [They become one with their true Divine Form]. Association with
      these saints is this second category of satsang. However, finding
      such a saint is not an easy task. A true saint is rare and difficult
      to find.

      Sant Tulsidas says:

      "Without accumulation of many good deeds one will be unable to gain
      the association of a great saint."

      When our good karmas permit, we are able to come to experience the
      association of these sentient beings. A more important point is that
      even if we have a direct encounter with such a saint, we often do
      not have the wisdom to be able to recognize a genuine sage.

      A great Sant, Tulsidas, says:

      "If someone says 'I have recognized a saint,' then I put my hands on
      my ears in astonishment. [It is not an easy task.]"

      If ordinary people could recognize saints, then why, since
      antiquity, have so many great saints, sages, and prophets been
      tortured, maimed and killed? Many saints have had to face horrible
      atrocities. This simply would not have happened if we were able to
      recognize the genuine great saints.

      * The Third Kind of Satsang (Association with the Writings of Sages
      and Saints)

      In daily life we need the guidance of a great sage or saint. Even
      though we might encounter many so called mahatmas or sadhus, the
      task of finding and identifying an accomplished guide is difficult.
      So, in consideration of this, how would satsang (association with a
      true saint) be possible? The answer is that we can study the
      teachings of the great saints of the past, because in their teaching
      we will find the elaboration of the Truth. This then is the third
      category of sat-sang. Generally, when we speak of satsang, it is
      this third category that is meant. This kind of satsang includes the
      study of scriptures and the words and writings of the saints and
      prophets of the past.

      As we continue diligently in this third type of satsang we
      accumulate the meritorious karmas which will lead to the meeting
      with a true saint. Then we will be able to do the second category of
      satsang. As we continue in association with a great saint, and with
      the saint's blessings, we will gradually begin to meditate and
      undertake the prescribed spiritual disciplines. By diligently
      practicing these disciplines, we will one day, experience the first
      category of sat-sang -- the association with the Supreme. When we
      have thus accomplished the highest category of satsang, our life's
      purpose will be fulfilled.

      -- Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj

      2)

      Lyrics from Soami Ji in Persian Translated

      ABOUT THE ASCENSION OF THE SPIRIT TO
      ARSH (HEAVENLY SPHERES) AND ITS ARRIVAL
      IN THE SPHERE OF HOOT OR SATTLOK AND
      THE SCENARIO OF THOSE SPHERES

      [Note: I have translated these lyrics from the Persian text, not
      from the Hindi translations given in Sar Bachan Radhasoami, Poetry,
      Volume I.]

      Lyric 1 (8 Verses)

      1. 0 Murshid (guide)! I have become the ardent lover (aashiq) of the
      sight of your (jamaal -- mysteriunl fascinans or eternal, mysterious
      beauty) which has broken and wounded my heart and which has made me
      oblivious of my life-breath (jaan baakhta) and which has made me
      besides myself (which has overwhelmed and overwrought me -- az khud
      raftaa).

      2. One look of yours tore at my heart strings (chaak gira-boon
      karda) and made me crazy and I started tearing my hair (became
      frustrated and worried) as Majnu (Qais) did in his craze for Laila
      (his beloved).

      3. For my aching heart, I can think of no other remedy save the
      delicious flavour I receive from your speech and discourses (lutf-i-
      guftar); the wounds and lacerations of my heart can admit of no
      ointment save the soothing balm furnished by your words.

      4. Your beauteous countenance (rooey zebaaye tau) has enlivened and
      illumined the wires of my mind; that luminance has put to
      insignificance and shame thousands of moons and suns shining in the
      sky.

      5. Such is the rotation of the wheel of time (gardish-i -- planted
      on the feet of the beloved (i.e. their revolution or parikranla
      round about the beloved) that they (the lovers) gained renown. It is
      the beloved that accords the lover a "local habitation and a name".

      6. From inside of me, the greed of this phenomenal world (i.e. all
      excessive desire for power and pelt) has gone out (bairoon gardeed);
      only the desire and tendresse always to see you (shauq-i-deedar) has
      filled in my heart and soul (i.e. my intensive yearning for your
      glimpses has taken possession of my mind).

      7. Bravo (Marhaba)! My flame has brightened and my surat has become
      tied up with the feet of my beloved Lord; it has split the moon in
      twain (Shaqq-i-Qanlar Kardi) and caught hold of the falak (Gagan or
      Trikuli).

      8. I heard mellifluous lyrics and melodies and listened to
      innumerable (waafir) sounds; in my view, Kaaba and idol-house (i.e.
      Muslims as well as Hindus) both turned out to be infidels (kaafir).

      -- Soami Ji Maharaj, "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami --
      Sar Bachan Radhasoami Poetry", Volume I,
      Translated by M. G. Gupta, MG Publishers, Agra, India

      3)

      Ceaselessly the Star Shimmers

      Ceaselessly
      the star shimmers
      dear to the three worlds.

      There it is,
      in the sky
      beyond vision.
      You cannot
      catch it
      or touch it.

      A lamp without oil
      or wick
      it's made of light
      shining day and night.

      I have found
      immortality.
      I had a body
      now I am free.
      I have seen
      the Truth
      says Namdev.

      -- Sant Namdev
      "The Hindi Padavali of Namdev"
      translated by Winand M. Callewaert
      Motilal Barnarsidass Publishers, Delhi, India

      4)

      Happy New Year -- Radhasoami!