Returning to the Source Through the Inner Journey is Dharma

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2005
      Returning to the Source Through the Inner Journey is Dharma

      The individual Soul has descended from the higher worlds [realm of
      the Divine] to this city of illusion [bodily existence]. It has
      descended from the Soundless State to the essence of Sound, from
      that Sound to Light, and finally from the realm of Light to the
      realm of Darkness. The qualities (natural tendencies) of the sense
      organs draw us upward (by withdrawing consciousness) from the
      darkness to the realms of Light and Sound. In other words, to go
      inward from the external sense organs to the depth of the inner
      Self. The natural tendencies of the Soul (Atman) are to move from
      outward to inward. The Current of consciousness which is dispersed
      in the nine gates of the body and the nine senses must be collected
      at the tenth gate (the sixth chakra, the Third Eye, Bindu, Center
      between the eyebrows) therein lies the path for our return. This is
      the act of leaving the gates of the sense organs and becoming
      established in the soul. We travel back from the realm of Darkness
      to the realm of Light, from the Light to divine Sound, and from the
      realm of Sound to the Soundless State. This is turning back. This is
      what dharma or religion really intends to teach us and it is the
      essence of dharma.

      -- Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj

      The Inward Journey

      Real spiritual growth can only be achieved through the practice of
      meditation. There are many ways to meditate and their results and
      purposes vary, but the one described here is concerned with the
      technique of uniting the Soul with the Primordial Power or Shabd. It
      is simply and solely concerned with uniting us with our Source.

      To be able to make contact with this Power that manifests within us
      an inner Light and Sound, we need, to follow the technique of
      meditation prescribed by a spiritual teacher who is himself in
      contact with it and can teach us the technique. If we have a radio
      that is disconnected from its source of energy, then it would be
      obvious that we would not be able to hear any music from it. To tune
      it to a broadcasting frequency, we would have to find a way to
      connect the radio to a source of power. In the same way a true,
      living spiritual teacher, being tuned into the Source of Energy that
      created the universe, is able to show us how to reconnect ourselves
      to the inner spiritual Music that is resounding within each and
      every one of us......

      Lasting happiness is achieved..... through meditation. It starts to
      happen the moment one begins to raise one's consciousness through
      the body and concentrate it at the spiritual Eye-focus. This focus
      is the natural seat of the mind and Soul in the physical body -- a
      Point about midway between, and slightly above, the two eyes. It is
      a subtle spiritual point and cannot be found by dissecting the body.
      It is at this subtle Point that the mind and the Soul are knotted
      together, the resting Point of our consciousness in the waking
      state. And it is here, if we raise our consciousness to this level,
      that we contact the Shabd, the enrapturing Music of God.

      The same mind that was constantly running after sensual pleasures
      becomes completely subdued, the pleasures of the world become
      utterly insipid, when, through the practice of meditation, we come
      in contact with the bliss of the divine Melody.

      (Encyclopedia of Saints of India,
      Volume Nineteen: Radhasoami,
      Criterion Publications)