New Sar Bachan Poetry and Prose Published in English, Part One

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17 8:26 PM
      New Sar Bachan Poetry and Prose Published in English, Part One

      *[Radhasoami Reality at Yahoo]:
      *[Sant Mat Fellowship at Yahoo]:

      (Sar Bachan Poetry is below.)

      Mixed Media: Book Reviews, Website Reviews, Music Reviews

      By James Bean

      Copyright September 2005

      Book Review: The Sar Bachan of Soami Ji Maharaj in three new volumes:

      "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami
      Prose",
      "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami
      Poetry, Volume One", and,
      "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami
      Poetry, Volume Two",

      Translation into Contemporary English, Commentary and Footnotes, by
      M.G. Gupta

      Genres: Sat Mat, Radhasoami, Surat Shabd Yoga, Spiritual Poetry,
      Gnosticism, Indian Mysticism,

      ISBNs:
      Prose: 81-85532-33-8
      Poetry Volume One: 81-85532-34-6
      Poetry Volume Two: 81-85532-35-4

      Publisher: MG Publishers, Agra, India

      Some Related Webpages:

      *Prose: https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no21697.htm
      *Poetry I: https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no40511.htm
      **Poetry II: https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no40512.htm

      *Rumi (also M.G. Gupta): https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no40564.htm
      *Sarmad (MG Gupta): https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no40563.htm
      *Hafiz (by MG Gupta):
      https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no40562.htm

      *North American Importer of Indian Spiritual Books: Nataraj:
      http://users.erols.com/nataraj
      *The New Nataraj Website:
      https://www.natarajbooks.com/main.aspx

      *JPG IMAGE of the Books:
      http://www.geocities.com/sant_mat_gnosis/Radhaswami.jpg

      The spiritual classics, Sar Bachan Radhasoami Nazm yaani Chhand
      bandh (Poetry), and, Sar Bachan Radhasoami Bartik (Prose) by Soami
      Ji Maharaj are very complex books even in Hindi, and all-the-more so
      if the attempt is made to translate them into English, especially
      the mystical poetry. Swami Ji himself says, "How shall I openly
      speak of its process (the process of creation in Pinda: the material
      universes, And: the astral dimensions, and Brahmand: Universal Mind
      realms -- this best remains confidential), for none can comprehend
      its secrets and idioms which I will have to have to employ to reveal
      them."

      Swami Ji's mystic-verses are quite intricate with layers of meaning,
      and contain countless terms for various heavenly regions, states of
      consciousness, visionary and auditory experiences he encountered as
      he was in communion with his Beloved Radhasoami (Soul-Lord, Lord of
      the Soul). The Sar Bachan Radhasoami Poetry is a most other-worldly,
      heavenly document, based upon Swami Ji's own inner travels,
      attainments and spiritual realizations. "For about fifteen years,
      Soami Ji Maharaj used to shut Himself up in a room which is within
      another room [a meditation room within a room in his home in Agra].
      He was all the time absorbed in the bliss of Surat Shabd Yoga."
      (Huzur Maharaj) After this period of deep exploration of the inner
      regions and union with his Beloved Radhasoami in Sach Khand, Swami
      Ji merged and began his Mission of public satsang. "In January 1861,
      Soami Ji started publicly explaining the method of Saints (Sant Mat)
      to a few people who gathered at his home. This satsang (true
      association, association with Eternal Truth) continued for nearly
      seventeen years, during which period about four thousand persons --
      men and women -- Hindus, Muslims, Jains, Sravagis, and a few
      Christians were initiated by him into Sant Mat (the Path of the
      Saints), i.e. Radhasoami path (the Path of the Supreme Being). Most
      of these were householders; but some (about three hundred) were
      Sadhus also." ("Encyclopaedia of Saints of India", Volume Nineteen:
      Radhasoami, Criterion Publications, New Delhi)

      Soami Ji even makes use of some Persian or Sufi mystical terminology
      at times, and composed some ghazals in Persian. "Soami Ji's father
      and grand-father were Persian scholars." ("The Biography of Soami Ji
      Maharaj") Soami Ji "acquired a working knowledge of Arabic and
      Sanskrit", earlier in his life for a time taught Persian, and
      even "wrote a book in Persian." ("Radhasoami Faith -- a Historical
      Study") It seems rather appropriate then for someone who has
      translated all six volumes of the Masnawi of Jalaluddin Rumi, the
      poetry of Sarmad, and the Diwan-i Hafiz to produce this most
      excellent new translation of the Sar Bachan Poetry and Prose in
      English -- all three volumes: "The Quintessential Discourse
      Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami Prose", "The Quintessential
      Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami Poetry, Volume One",
      and, "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan
      Radhasoami Poetry, Volume Two", Translation and Commentary, M.G.
      Gupta, MG Publishers, Agra.

      If any group loses, removes -- takes away -- the God-bhakti aspect,
      that changes the path into something else, and would represent an
      incomplete version of Surat Shabd Yoga. One key teaching often not
      comprehended by some in the West is the centrality of bhakti: love,
      devotion -- direct communion with God (Radhasoami) as the
      quintessential or foundational experience of Sant Mat mysticism.
      Some may soul travel and find astral light and sound experiences in
      lower realms, but without love for the Beloved, that too remains
      merely an illusion of spiritual progress and enlightenment, an
      imitation of Divine Light and Sound. Kal-worlds of duality have many
      lights and sounds too, and those do not lead the soul Above. As it
      says in the Anurag Sagar:

      "A moth loves the lamp. It becomes happy on seeing the lamp burning.
      It goes near the lamp and dances around it. It then tries to catch
      the light of the lamp and in this attempt burns itself. Kaal
      Niranjan (Universal Mind-illusion) is like that light. He has
      entangled the creatures in the net of illusive worldly things. It is
      very difficult to come out of this net."

      "When we collect the scattered thought and focus it behind the eyes,
      we first see a light called "Sakha Jot" and then at that very place
      appears "Jhilmil Jyoti": Showing these lights, Kaal arrests the
      souls (Jeevas) there. The third "Jagmag Jyoti" or the Twinkling
      Light is in the Thousand Petal Lotus region. Only the saints see
      this Light. This is above the eyes and below the "Turiya Pad". This
      real Light is known only to the saints." (Anurag Sagar, Tarn Tarn
      translation)

      For Swami Ji, love for the Beloved Radhasoami, the Lord of All
      Souls, is central to traveling upon the right Light and Sound
      Currents of Divine Love within. This bhakti spirit is the right-
      foundation and the Positive Power to base one's spiritual practice
      upon.

      "Always remember the Lord,
      and, knowing that He is always with you,
      imbue yourself with His love."
      (Soami Ji, in a letter to Huzur Maharaj)

      In the Sar Bachan are hymns of praise, conversational prayers
      directed towards the Friend, the Beloved, the Object of his
      Communion, the Lover of his soul: the Merciful Lord of the Soul:
      Radhasoami Dayal. In his loving context of devotional bhakti,
      mystical experiences (Surat Shabd Yoga, Divine Light and Sound) take
      the devotee-soul upon an interior journey beyond illusion, beyond
      time and duality, to an Ultimate Reality, the Ocean of Love, Swami
      Ji Maharaj describes as "Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent with
      attributes of Grace, Mercy, Love, Bliss and Peace." Swami Ji Maharaj
      says, "From one step to another the soul beholds strange things
      which cannot be described in human language. Every region and
      everything is utterly beyond words. What beauty and glory! How can I
      describe them? There is nothing here to convey the idea. I am
      helpless....Love plays the supreme part. It is all love. So says
      RADHASOAMI." (Sant Radhasoami Sahab)

      Radhasoami is the name for the Soundless One and Soundless State,
      Anadi, the Highest Region. As one Master said, "The individual soul
      has decended....from the Soundles State to the essence of Sound,
      from Sound to Light, and finally from the realm of Light to the
      realm of Darkness.....[in Surat Shabd Yoga meditation practice] we
      travel back from the realm of Darkness to the realm of Light, from
      the Light to Divine Sound, and from the realm of Sound to the
      Soundless State."

      Radhasoami,

      James
      Sant Mat Fellowship
      Radhasoami-Reality

      MYSTIC POETRY OF SWAMI JI MAHARAJ in,
      "The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami -- Sar Bachan Radhasoami
      Poetry"

      O Lord! Tell me as to how shall I reach there and fill my mind with
      zest, enthusiasm, courage and drive. My guru has revealed to me the
      path of Surat Shabd Yoga; without his grace and charity (daya), none
      can treat it and make it to His Abode.

      If you are a lamp (deepak - lamp of earthen vessel with wick and
      oil), I am turned into a moth (patanga) which in the company of the
      lamp reduces itself to ashes. If you are a black bee I am turned
      into a small worm (keet which thinks constantly of the bee and
      eventually becomes it); in my case, I think only of the most
      perfect, sagacious, skillful, shrewd and wise Radhasoami who has
      graciously met me. If you are the sandalwood (tree) I am a serpent
      intertwined with it; by the touch of your feet, I have become
      serene, tranquil and calm (sheetal bhayee). If you are an ocean, I
      am like a surge; I rise from you and I retire and return unto you.
      If you are a pearl, I am the thread (round which the pearl is
      woven); I, like the thread, never let go and forsake you (who is
      like a pearl to me).

      Lord Radhasoami! Do shower mercy and grace on me now, for you are
      seated inside each and everyone as the knower of all inner secrets
      (antaryami). If you are the moon, I am like its phases - rotation
      and revolution causing its phases, new moon and full moon - so that
      I depend on you and I am conditioned I by you both in my waning and
      waxing. I am like a small girl while you are both my father and
      mother; day and night I play in your lap.

      I hear the sonorous sounds of bell and conch-shell which resonate
      and reverberate (in Sahasdal Kanwal), and I hear the melodious and
      wondrous sounds of been (harp in Sat Lok) and flute (or bansuri in
      Bhanwar' Gupha). The tune and rhythm of drums (mridang) and fiddle,
      reverberations and the sound of kettledrum and tabor resonates every
      moment. The ambrosial rain falls in a thousand currents and the
      heavenly sphere (gagan mandal) revolves like a wheel. I go round and
      round (ghoomland), losing all my strength and ego and becoming
      utterly humble and dependent upon the Lord, so that the sheen of my
      doxology becomes intense and scintillating. The atmosphere that is
      created beggars description, and all the satsangis (initiates,
      gathering of devotees) join together in singing the doxology.
      Diamonds and rubies are being showered all around as propitiatory
      offering; the strings of pearls and quartz are being interwoven.

      I behold Radhasoami every moment. I have now completed this
      doxology! 0 Lord! Confer upon me your grace (prasad) which basically
      is ambrosia (and which will immortalize me, putting me beyond the
      ken of decay, decline and death). I am now unfurling the banner
      (flag) of love in the Heavenly Spheres of Three Prominences (Trikuli
      or Gagan) where the resonance of anhad shabd emanates from the
      Inaccessible Sphere.

      In those islands, the lakes of ambrosia are full to the brim and the
      hamsas there have the glimpses of Sat Purush for their nourishment
      (substance that nourishes; food, nutrient). There every time, there
      is a new sport (lila); how shall I speak of the majesty and grandeur
      thereof? Beyond that, the Alakh (Invisible) Sphere has been carved
      out, and there the surat goes, abandoning the non-Self ("I-ness" or
      ego or aapaa).

      How shall I admire the splendour and lustre of Alakh Purush?
      Billions and trillions of moons and suns feel humble and humiliated
      and are put to shame for they are all surpassed by the glory of
      Alakh Purush and feel disgraced. The surat acquires such a brilliant
      form there that crores of suns cannot do justice to its mien and
      beautiful aspect (chhabi).

      Then the surat steps forward and goes to perceive the Agam Lok (the
      Inaccessible Sphere). The sheen and lustre (shobha) of the
      Inaccessible Purush is peculiar, wholly distinct, for His brilliance
      and shine excels the light of trillions of suns?

      Beyond that is the Nameless One (Purush Anami), who is called as
      indescribable and Infinite (akeh and apaar). None can go there save
      the saints, who have termed it their own, original, eternal abode. 0
      Lord (Soami)!

      Radhasoami, I adore and adulate you, for you have revealed to me
      the Mystery.