Rumi's Spiritual Message To Humanity

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2004

      Rumi's Spiritual Message To Humanity

      (Rumi and the mystical poetry of other great Sufi Masters of the
      past have always been very popular in Sant Mat. Everyone loves Rumi.)

      True Reality

      Of this there is no academic proof in the world;
      For it is hidden, and hidden, and hidden. (Rumi)

      God, in spite of the skeptics,
      Caused spiritual gardens with sweet flowers to grow
      In the hearts of His friends.
      Every rose that is sweet-scented within,
      That rose is telling of the secrets of the Universal.
      Their scent, to the confusion of the skeptics,
      Spreads around the world, rending the veil. (Rumi, Mathnawi)

      The Ocean That Has Many Harbours

      The shop of Oneness,
      The Ocean that has many harbours,
      Yet where there is no division
      Between man and man, or woman,
      But only a unity of souls
      In the process of return to their Creator,
      Whose breath lives inside each one
      An helps to guide us home. (Rumi)

      The Beloved Is All, The Lover Just A Veil

      The Beloved is all, the lover just a veil.
      The Beloved is living, the lover a dead thing.
      If Love witholds its strengthening care,
      The lover is left like a bird without wings.
      How will I be awake and aware
      If the light of the Beloved is absent?
      Love wills that this Word be brought forth.
      If you find the mirror of the heart dull,
      The rust has not been cleared from its face." (Rumi, Mathnawi Book 1,
      34)

      We Are As Flute

      We are as the flute, and the music in us is from thee;
      we are as the mountain and the echo in us is from thee.
      We are as pieces of chess engaged in victory and defeat:
      our victory and defeat is from thee, O thou whose qualities are
      comely!

      Who are we, O Thou soul of our souls,
      that we should remain in being beside thee?
      We and our existences are really non-existence;
      thou art the absolute Being which manifests the perishable.

      We all are lions, but lions on a banner:
      because of the wind they are rushing onward from moment to moment.
      Their onward rush is visible, and the wind is unseen:
      may that which is unseen not fail from us!
      Our wind whereby we are moved and our being are of thy gift;
      our whole existence is from thy bringing into being. (Rumi, Mesnavi
      Book I, 599-607)

      Rumi's Spiritual Message

      Come to me each and all
      Raw, burned or baked
      Clothed or naked
      Poor or wretched
      Humble or bigoted
      Loved or hated
      Come ye all, tell me all

      Tell me your untold tale
      Of betrayal and separation
      Of longing and lamentation
      Of pain and affliction
      Of joy and adoration
      Of unity and affirmation
      Every secret you unveil

      Harken to the sound of the reed
      Resonating bliss and delight
      For a nexus firm and bright
      To the divine sacred light
      After separation and fright
      From the ghastly sight
      Of an unholy dogma or creed

      This reed is Rumi
      A Gnostic well-aware
      Of life's hope and despair
      Of man's love and care
      And capacity to forebear
      The life of a solitaire
      No matter how gloomy

      This reed is Shams-eddin
      The Sun that cast glaring light
      Upon Rumi, day and night
      Like the spirit of a meteorite
      Piercing and glowing bright
      Transforming into an acolyte
      Of his disciple Jalal-eddin

      Disciple - master kindred souls
      Taking chances
      In love's trances
      In destiny's lances
      In reckless dances
      In joyful glances
      Brethren changing roles

      In the secret heart of heaven remain
      The ecstasy they evoke
      The envy they provoke
      The tradition they broke
      The tender words they spoke
      Waiting for the world to soak
      In thunderous rain

      The cosmic lightening will strike
      The words will fall like rain
      And spread across the plain
      Heavenly Love shall restrain
      Lust and greed insane
      The sacred purging the profane
      In East and West alike. (Rumi)

      Lovers

      O lovers, lovers it is time
      to set out from the world.
      I hear a drum in my soul's ear
      coming from the depths of the stars. (Rumi)

      At every instant and from every side, resounds the call of Love:
      We are going to sky, who wants to come with us?
      We have gone to heaven, we have been the friends of the angels,
      And now we will go back there, for there is our country.
      We are higher than heaven, more noble than the angels:
      Why not go beyond them? Our goal is the Supreme Majesty.
      What has the fine pearl to do with the world of dust?
      Why have you come down here? Take your baggage back. What is this
      place?
      Luck is with us, to us is the sacrifice!...
      Like the birds of the sea, men come from the ocean - the ocean of the
      soul.
      Like the birds of the sea, men come from the ocean - the ocean of the
      soul.
      How could this bird, born from that sea, make his dwelling here?
      No, we are the pearls from the bosom of the sea, it is there that we
      dwell:
      Otherwise how could the wave succeed to the wave that comes from the
      soul?
      The wave named 'Am I not your Lord' has come, it has broken the
      vessel of the body;
      And when the vessel is broken, the vision comes back, and the union
      with Him. (Rumi, Eva de Vitray-Meyerovitch,'Rumi and Sufism' trans.
      Simone Fattal Sausalito, CA: Post-Apollo Press, 1977, 1987)

      Great Rumi/Sufi Website:
      http://home4.pacific.net.sg/~makhdoom/rumi1.html