Empty Talk and the Supreme Being Was Far Away

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2004

      Empty Talk and the Supreme Being Was Far Away

      So long as I was devoid of love, there was a lot of empty talk
      and the Supreme Being was away from me. Now when I am
      sincerely devoted to Him, the useless talking has ceased. (Kabir)

      To whom shall I go to learn about my Beloved?
      Kabir says: "As you never may find the forest if
      you ignore the tree, so He may never be found
      in abstractions." (Songs of Kabir, Tagore translation)

      Test of true lovers is that when they meet, devotion is enhanced. A
      heart without love is like a crematorium. It is like the bellows of
      a blacksmith, which draws in and throws out air, without having
      life. He who is after bargaining, can neither engender love nor can
      he follow the path of Shabd. There can be no love without patience
      or renunciation, without yearning for the Supreme Father. Without
      the grace of Sat Guru the stain of worldly desires cannot go. Prem
      knows no rules. When the mind is saturated with love, who cares to
      remember the day or date (that may be auspicious)? To enjoy full
      bliss and happiness of the Beloved, you should put on the sandals of
      love, apply the collyrium of patience to the eyes and put the
      vermilion of pity on the forehead.

      When love is engendered in one's heart, one cannot hide it. If it is
      not expressed through speech, the eyes will express it through
      tears. What is of importance is that you should cherish love for
      Guru. Outward appearances do not count. If there is love in your
      heart, then it is immaterial whether you lead the life of a
      householder or as an ascetic live in the forest.

      The desire for the bliss of true love and hankering after worldly
      honor and prestige cannot exist side by side, just as two swords
      cannot be put into one scabbard. Such a thing has never been seen or
      heard of. True bliss of meeting the Beloved Lord is such that its
      rapturous absorption does not diminish or wear off. One remains
      absorbed in the bliss of the Holy Name and amiras (nectar) all the
      time. When love for the Supreme Being has manifested and spread
      itself in every pore of the body, one needs no other intoxicant.
      Many go to the distillery of Prem (love) but he alone will drink the
      liquor of Prem who gives his head to the distiller.

      As I quaff the cup of love, I am lost in the memory of the Beloved.
      I hear the Shabd (sound) of the drum and behold my darling Guru
      standing in the open.

      He who is inebriated with love and devotion will attain salvation
      and remain absorbed in the bliss of Shabd. He will secure freedom
      from the cycle of birth and death. If you have thirst for Prem
      (love), surrender your head (ego). If you can do so, only then
      something will be achieved.

      When one is attached to Guru, one's attention is withdrawn from all
      other quarters. When the mind is dyed in the color of Guru, there is
      no need for going elsewhere. So long as I was devoid of love, there
      was a lot of empty talk and the Supreme Being was away from me. Now
      when I am sincerely devoted to Him, the useless talking has ceased.

      -- Guru Kabir,
      from the book, Sant Sangrah, Part One,
      Huzur Maharaj's selections from the Banis of the Saints,
      Agra, India

      My heart and mind are ever filled with longing for the Lord.
      0 God, how will I gain the vision of Thee?
      This longing is only understood by those who have known
      the love of Thee.
      The Lord is most dear to my heart and mind.
      I am a sacrifice unto my Guru, who has united me, who was
      separated, to my Creator. (Guru Ram Das, Adi Granth)