Kabir, Mystic Poetry: Book Review: The Nirmal Dass Translation

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2003
      {Radhasoami Quotes -- The Spiritual Classics of the Radhasoami Faith}

      Kabir, Mystic Poetry: Book Review: The Nirmal Dass Translation

      "Songs of Kabir from the Adi Granth" makes available the Kabir
      material from the Sikh Gurbani (Adi Granth) in one volume. It's a
      very nice translation and it also lets the reader see all the
      various names for God that Kabir used in his devotional hymns: Ram,
      Hari, Gopal, Gobind, Allah and many more. I'm glad that, instead of
      translating these names all as 'God', Nirmal Dass let's us see the
      many names for God that Kabir used -- many names for the One God
      (Iik Ong Kaar/Ekongkar/Ekankar).

      In the second raga below, Kabir describes some of the inner stages
      and experiences of Sant Mat Mysticism: the 'moon', 'sun', 'western
      door', 'window', and 'tenth door'. After one reaches the third or
      single eye, it is possible to see the inner moon, sun and sky, and
      many other stages beyond with "no limits, no boundaries" in inner
      space.

      Kabir's path is one of devotion (prem and bhakti) and mystical
      experiences of Love, bliss, Light, and Sound -- in other words,
      Surat Shabd Yoga and Bhakti Yoga. Ram is everywhere, in this
      creation and in all the other planes or heavens of creation as well.
      Says Guru Kabir: "Everywhere I look I see Ram."

      The bottom line for Kabir is to experience union with God now and
      not rely on this happening by itself in some future reincarnation or
      afterlife only. For Kabir, NOW is the time for jiva mukti, salvation
      or enlightenment. Now is the time to experience the Timeless (Akal)
      Supreme Being in the Anurag Sagar (Ocean of Love). The human form is
      a precious Gift. This present moment is the perfect opportunity to
      experience the Beloved. Kabir says: "What is known now is known
      then." If we are attached to the Beloved now, then we know that we
      will continue to be in the arms of the Beloved in the other world as
      well. Kabir says: "Now is your chance. Now it's your turn. Look
      inside your heart and meditate."

      In the Name of Radhasoami,

      James Bean
      Radhasoami Reality at Yahoo Groups

      Kabir, from Raga Bhairo

      9:
      Serve the Guru and be devoted:
      Put human birth to good use.
      Even gods yearn for human shape --
      serve Hari through this body.

      Praise Gobind. Forget Him not:
      That's the advantage of human birth. (Pause)

      Before old age stains you,
      before death clutches your body,
      before your tongue stutters,
      praise, 0 my soul, Sarangpani.

      Worship him now, not later, 0 my brother.
      The end comes-you can't do it then.
      Now is the time for everything --
      or you'll regret not crossing over.

      He teaches service to His slaves:
      And So they find Niranjan Deva.
      Meet the Guru, and the gates will open:
      You shall never be in the womb again.

      Now is your chance. Now it's your turn.
      Look inside your heart and meditate.
      Kabir says, "Whether you win or lose,
      I called out, I called out to you so many times."

      10:
      Real wisdom is Shiva's city.
      Gather there and meditate.
      You will understand this life and the next;
      no one dies in self-pride there.

      I am thinking about my abode there:
      Raja Ram is my theology. (Pause)

      By the Source's root is my abode:
      I place the moon above the sun.
      The sun is fiery by the western door;
      the Meru-sceptred One is above me.

      The western door has a threshold;
      above the threshold is a window.
      Above the window is the Tenth Door.
      Kabir says, "It has no limits, no boundaries."

      -- Guru Kabir Sahib,
      Songs of Kabir from the Adi Granth,
      translated by Nirmal Dass,
      SUNY Press, NY,