What If There Is No Satsang?

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
      {Radhasoami Quotes -- The Spiritual Classics of the Radhasoami Faith}

      What If There Is No Satsang?

      Attendance in Satsang and service of the Sant Sat Guru are no doubt
      essential factors in spiritual progress, but when these are not
      available the devotee can maintain his usual progress by performing
      his Abhyas [meditation practices, spiritual exercises] regularly with
      earnestness and zeal and reading the sacred books regularly every day
      for an hour or so.

      -- Babuji Maharaj, Extracts from Babuji Maharaj's Letters to
      Satsangis, published in, Biography of Babuji Maharaj, Agra, India
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
        I should probably have added a comma after the word "zeal" so people
        don't misunderstand the passage as suggesting that BOTH the reading
        from the writings of the Masters and meditation could be squeezed
        into an hour each day. Meditation for at least two and a half hours
        each day is recommended to initiates of Sant Mat/Surat Shabd Yoga. It
        should read: "...performing his Abhyas [meditation practices,
        spiritual exercises] regularly with earnestness and zeal*,* and
        reading the sacred books regularly every day for an hour or so...." --
        Babu Ji's recommendtation to create one's own satsang at home if
        one has no public satsang to attend in their area.

        Glad to be providing some of that reading material online!

        Blessings and Radhasoami,

        James
        Radhasoami-Reality, and
        Sant Mat Fellowship

        >performing his Abhyas [meditation practices, spiritual exercises]
        >regularly with earnestness and zeal and reading the sacred books
        >regularly every day for an hour or so.
      • Sian Creed
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
          Greeting James and all,
          This is a very pertinent point: the reading of the
          sacred books each day. Being in the position of not
          being able to attend Satsang or group meditation, I
          find that unless I read, even if I regularly meditate,
          my concentration is not as good. I particularly enjoy
          the letters between Maharaj Jagat Singh Ji and his
          discourses.
          Shirley
          --- "santmat_mystic ( James )"

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
            Hi Shirley:

            Radhasoami

            Yes, a certain amount of reading can be beneficial as a spiritual
            exercise to prepare for one's daily meditation practice. Most Masters
            have said to read (or sing) a couple of Banis or Bhajans (Hymns of
            Sants) each day.

            On the Letters; right now I'm reading the Biography of Babuji Maharaj
            which contains many of his Letters to initiates. I have about a dozen
            books of Letters from Masters to their disciples -- enough for years
            of posts here! I do plan to continue to post excerpts from the
            Letters. Those are very valuable for spiritual guidance. Everyone
            always enjoys the Letters and feels like they were written just for
            them, and indeed, they are -- there wisdom is quite universal. A
            great source of inspiration.

            Blessings,

            James

            --- In RADHASOAMI-REALITY@y..., Sian Creed <siancreed2001@y...> wrote:
            > Greeting James and all,
            > This is a very pertinent point: the reading of the
            > sacred books each day. Being in the position of not
            > being able to attend Satsang or group meditation, I
            > find that unless I read, even if I regularly meditate,
            > my concentration is not as good. I particularly enjoy
            > the letters between Maharaj Jagat Singh Ji and his
            > discourses.
            > Shirley
          • Alan Bosik
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
              Dear Fellow Radhasoaimis...

              I make it a point every day at work to read from something written by one of The Masters. It helps me keep the day in perspective and unattach from the outer world that tends to suck me in while I'm at work.

              Currently I'm reading Discources by Babuji Maharaj. He brings things up during the course of his Discources that bring me to other worlds.

              Peace AND Love to you all.....Alan
            • Linda Kordich
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
                thank you for the message. linmira