364The Sound Current, the Word, and, A List of Inner Mystic-Sounds

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Nov 26 3:48 AM
      The Sound Current, the Word, and, A List of Inner Mystic-Sounds

      Radhasoami Reality:

      From, "Encyclopaedia of Saints of India, Volume 19: Radhasoami",
      By Dr. S.R. Bakshi and Dr. Sangh Mittra,
      Criterion Publications, New Delhi, 2002, 268 pages,
      a great book on the teachings and history of the Radhasoami Faith

      The Sound Current, the Word

      All religious scriptures mention the sound current or the Word, but
      unfortunately their followers are unaware of it. Hindus call it the
      celestial voice (aakaash vaanee), 'that which can be heard' (shruti),
      unstruck divine melody (anahad shabd). The Chhandogya and Mandok
      Upanishad name it the celestial song (udgeeth). In the Adi Granth, it
      has been expressed as name (naam), word (baanee), melody (dhun),
      truth (sach), ceaseless eternal sound (anahad shabad), Guru's word
      (gar baanee), sound (shabd), etc. Muslims call it word (kalmaa),
      voice of God (kalaam-e-ilaahee), heavenly sound (nidaa-e-aasmaanee),
      great name (ism-e-a'zam) or king of repetitions (sultaan-ul-azkaar).
      Ancient Greek mystics referred to it as word (logos). Socrates spoke
      of an inner sound that transported him to realms transcendent and
      divine. Zoroaster spoke of it as sarosha. Theosophists enumerate some
      of the sounds that are heard within and call them the voice of the
      silence. It has been termed the pure white music.

      "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
      Word was God." -- John 1: 1

      The Word is the Holy Spirit; and without consciously coming in
      contact with it there is no possibility of real spiritual progress.

      "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the Word of our God
      shall stand for ever." -- Isaiah 40:8

      The Word is the fundamental principle of all the religions. The
      difference lies in the extent to which their adepts ascended up the
      sound current or the Word.

      When a Master initiates a soul he brings to that soul, at that
      moment, the ability to become conscious of this sound current. During
      all the millions of years we have been wandering around, lost and
      blind, we have forgotten our true selves and our Maker; we have lost
      the way (the sound current). Now it will be different. We are to meet
      our Creator through the sound current, which keeps creation in being.

      "A sound is vibrating in the whole of creation. When you open your
      inner ear you will hear a continuous sound, which will lead you
      across all limitations of mind and matter. My Beloved is speaking to
      you all the time. Alas! you do not hear his Voice."
      -- Shah Niaz

      When we first hear this wonderful sound it is very soft, but
      gradually it amplifies in volume, tone and character. In reality, our
      finer senses develop and we thereby appreciate it better. So long as
      the mind remains attached to the body and its desires, it cannot
      grasp the Word.

      A List of Inner Mystic-Sounds

      Maharishi Mehi: The literature of various saints describes the sounds
      of the different realms..........[they are] similar to the sounds of
      the Veena (stringed instrument similar to the lyre), the Murali
      (flute), the Nafeeri (horn instrument), the Mridang (drum), the Mrdal
      (cymbals), the Singi (a horn), the Sitar (stringed instrument), or
      the Sarangi (similar to a lute). Other descriptions compare these
      sounds to a peal of Thunder and a roar of a Lion. (Maharishi Mehi
      Paramahansa Ji Maharaj, "Philosophy of Liberation")

      Hazrat Khan: It sounds like Thunder, the roaring of the Sea, the
      jingling of Bells, running the Water, the Buzzing of bees, the
      Twittering of sparrows, the Vina, the Whistle, or the sound of
      Shankha... ("The Mysticism of Sound")

      Svatmarama Yogindra, the author of the Hatha-Yoga-Pradipika, outlines
      the stages of Nada (inner Sound) practice as follows: First, the
      practitioner should block his or her ears with the fingers and focus
      inwardly, listening for the arising of the inner Sound (Nada). To
      begin with, a variety of sounds may be heard, becoming increasingly
      subtle. Thus the practitioner may hear sounds like the sound of the
      Ocean, a Rain Cloud, a Drum, a Kettledrum, a Conch, a Bell, a Horn, a
      Flute, a Lute, or a bee [Hum]. He or she should continue to focus on
      whatever Sound is attractive until the mind achieves perfect
      steadiness. ("The Shambhala Guide to Yoga", Shambhala Publications)

      Acts of John, apocryphal scripture of the West: Who else is Christ
      but the Sound of God?

      Hazrat Khan: Abstract sound is called Saut-e Sarmad by the Sufis; all
      space is filled with it. The vibrations of this sound are too fine to
      be either audible or visible to the material ears or eyes, since it
      is even difficult for the eyes to see the form and color of he
      ethereal vibrations on the external plane. It was the Saut-e Sarmad,
      the sound of the abstract plane, which Muhammad heard in the cave of
      Ghar-e Hira when he became lost in his divine ideal. The Quran refers
      to this sound in the words, 'Be! and all became.' Moses heard this
      very sound on Mount Sinai, when in communion with God; and the same
      word was audible to Christ when absorbed in his Heavenly Father in
      the wilderness. Shiva heard the same Anahad Nada during his Samadhi
      in the cave of the Himalayas.

      The flute of Krishna is symbolic of the same sound. This sound is the
      source of all revelation to the Masters, to whom it is revealed from
      within; it is because of this that they know and teach one and the
      same truth. ("The Mysticism of Sound")