Frisian Modal is R-L48

  • David Weston
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello,

      Sorry if this has been pointed out already.  I haven't been following the list closely or any other lists at all due to other distractions.  However, I thought it worth mentioning that the "Frisian Modal" haplotype, which first led to the discovery of S21/U106, and has been discussed at length since on various lists appears to belong solidly in the R-L48 subclade.  The Frisian Modal haplotype was so named because the highest region of concentration was centered on the continental European North Sea coast (Belgium, Netherlands, northern Germany), historically known as Frisia.  I use the definition here for the Frisian Modal as:

      DYS390 = 23, DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10.

      All 10 of the R-U106 group participants who have tested for L48 and match the Frisian Modal are L48+.  131 participants have tested for L48 as of the last group update, of whom 81 belong to R-L48 including the 10 above.

      The Frisian Modal as first defined by its discoverer Ken Nordtvedt includes DYS464 = (15,16,17,18).  5 of the 10 above match this definition.

      The value of this observation is it provides a limited means for reliably predicting who is R-L48.  Any combination of 2 of the 3 allele results matching the Frisian Modal is likely to belong to R-L48.  There have be no observed L48- results with DYS390=23 and either DYS447 = 24 or GATA H4 = 10.  There are two L48- results with DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10.   The fact the Frisian Modal only accounts a fraction of R-L48 haplotype also tells us the R-L48 is older than then modal founder age.  Thus any founder age estimates for the Frisian Modal can used as a a minimum age for R-L48.  I defer to others for these estimates as I am not prepared to venture into any detailed age estimates myself at this time.

      DYS390 by itself also continues to be an indicator of who belongs to R-L48 or not.  Approximately 70% of those who are L48- are DYS390 = 24, where as approximately 80% of those who are L48+ are L48+.

      As a further indicator of R-L48, the 7 participants with DYS390 = 25 who have tested for L48 are L48-; and, the 8 with DYS390 = 22 are L48+.

      Data tables are posted to the R-U106 group website for reference.

      Cheers, David.

      David Weston
      Group Co-Administrator
      R1b-U106/S21+ Research Group
    • RandyW
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2010
        David,

        I've recently tested positive for L-48 and also have DYS390 = 23, DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10 as noted below. Is L48 still considered the Frisian modal? Have there been any new developments in the past year?

        Thanks,

        Randy Walker

      • 5cookes@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
          Latest results in: kit 68877 (Ralph Terry) is L48+.

          We (lineage 2, R1b's at the Cook DNA project, ftdna), incidentally, are all 15-16-17-17 464. Save one who was adopted (also not in the Cook project but tested with DNAH). Ralph is a 67/67 match to 2 others: Cooke and Boatwright, and 37/37 to various Cook(e)s.

          Also, we have one individual who is null 425, and one who clearly is in the "family" who is 24 at 390.

          We also share a strange combo at 391-385a,b: 12-10-12.

          But, the good news is Ralph's result: L48+

          Jim Cooke, admin
          Cook DNA Project

          From: "RandyW" <walkerrs15@...>
          Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 02:48:18 -0000
          To: <R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [R1b1c_U106-S21] Re: Frisian Modal is R-L48

          David,

          I've recently tested positive for L-48 and also have DYS390 = 23, DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10 as noted below. Is L48 still considered the Frisian modal? Have there been any new developments in the past year?

          Thanks,

          Randy Walker

          --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@ yahoogroups. com, "David Weston" <westons@... > wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Sorry if this has been pointed out already. I haven't been following the
          > list closely or any other lists at all due to other distractions. However,
          > I thought it worth mentioning that the "Frisian Modal" haplotype, which
          > first led to the discovery of S21/U106, and has been discussed at length
          > since on various lists appears to belong solidly in the R-L48 subclade. The
          > Frisian Modal haplotype was so named because the highest region of
          > concentration was centered on the continental European North Sea coast
          > (Belgium, Netherlands, northern Germany), historically known as Frisia. I
          > use the definition here for the Frisian Modal as:
          >
          > DYS390 = 23, DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10.
          >
          > All 10 of the R-U106 group participants who have tested for L48 and match
          > the Frisian Modal are L48+. 131 participants have tested for L48 as of the
          > last group update, of whom 81 belong to R-L48 including the 10 above.
          >
          > The Frisian Modal as first defined by its discoverer Ken Nordtvedt includes
          > DYS464 = (15,16,17,18) . 5 of the 10 above match this definition.
          >
          > The value of this observation is it provides a limited means for reliably
          > predicting who is R-L48. Any combination of 2 of the 3 allele results
          > matching the Frisian Modal is likely to belong to R-L48. There have be no
          > observed L48- results with DYS390=23 and either DYS447 = 24 or GATA H4 = 10.
          > There are two L48- results with DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10. The fact the
          > Frisian Modal only accounts a fraction of R-L48 haplotype also tells us the
          > R-L48 is older than then modal founder age. Thus any founder age estimates
          > for the Frisian Modal can used as a a minimum age for R-L48. I defer to
          > others for these estimates as I am not prepared to venture into any detailed
          > age estimates myself at this time.
          >
          > DYS390 by itself also continues to be an indicator of who belongs to R-L48
          > or not. Approximately 70% of those who are L48- are DYS390 = 24, where as
          > approximately 80% of those who are L48+ are L48+.
          >
          > As a further indicator of R-L48, the 7 participants with DYS390 = 25 who
          > have tested for L48 are L48-; and, the 8 with DYS390 = 22 are L48+.
          >
          > Data tables are posted to the R-U106 group website for reference.
          >
          > Cheers, David.
          >
          > David Weston
          > Group Co-Administrator
          > R1b-U106/S21+ Research Group
          > http://www.familytr eedna.com/ public/U106/

        • Wayne Kauffman
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
            Interesting!    Definitely time to confirm the haplogroup for the null425 person.  It would be nice to know if kit 105518 is also null425.

            I would suggest some advanced SNP testing for Ralph Terry to see if he is L48 positive for any of the other downstream SNPs. I will defer to someone on the list as to the best testing sequence for Ralph's specific haplotype.

            Latest results in: kit 68877 (Ralph Terry) is L48+.

            We (lineage 2, R1b's at the Cook DNA project, ftdna), incidentally, are all 15-16-17-17 464. Save one who was adopted (also not in the Cook project but tested with DNAH). Ralph is a 67/67 match to 2 others: Cooke and Boatwright, and 37/37 to various Cook(e)s.

            Also, we have one individual who is null 425, and one who clearly is in the "family" who is 24 at 390.

            We also share a strange combo at 391-385a,b: 12-10-12.

            But, the good news is Ralph's result: L48+

            Jim Cooke, admin
            Cook DNA Project

            _._,___
          • 5cookes@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
              Well, hope to do the L44, 46 and 47 tests.

              We are still intrigued with the 12-10-12 markers: it is the key "so far" to finding our family. All at this point in our "family" have that combo, and nearly all trace back to and thru Ole Virginny.

              Our most promising distant match is Offley on North-Central UK.

              I have played with the R-U106 results on a spreadsheet, soring and resorting, and was surprised at how many 391 "12's" there were, and at least a few 12-10's in there, too. Perhaps our combo is specific to a "family" and would not qualify for a sub-sub-sub clade, but who knows!?

              Jim
              PS - must confess that I am all-to invested in Ralph's results. I am both admin, but also kit 7221 of the Cook Project.

              From: Wayne Kauffman <wkauffman@...>
              Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 06:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
              To: <R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [R1b1c_U106-S21] Single null425 in a L48+ cluster.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                Jim

                Your null 425 project member might like to join the Null 425 project:

                http://www.familytreedna.com/public/null425/default.aspx

                There is a useful section on null values in this ISOGG newsletter:

                http://www.isogg.org/newsletter/2008/junjul.htm

                Debbie Kennett
              • 5cookes@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010

                  Thx Debbie. I thought that he had joined, but will nudge him a bit if not.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                    Randy,

                    Do you have any of the following?

                    DYS389-1=13, DYS389-2=30, DYS437=14, DYS464b=16, DYS464d=18, and DYS442=13.

                    Eldon

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                      Eldon,

                      I'm close.  I have:

                      DYS389-1=13, DYS389-2=29, DYS437=15, DYS464b=16, DYS464d=19, and DYS442=13.

                      Randy

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                      Randy,

                      You may know this but DYS390=22, DYS389-1=13, DYS389-2=30, DYS447=24,
                      DYS437=14, DYS464b=16, DYS464d=18, GATA H4=10, and DYS442=13 is the profile
                      of L148. So you are off one step on four of the nine markers. Have you
                      tested for L148?

                      Eldon

                      DYS389-1=13, DYS389-2=29, DYS437=15, DYS464b=16, DYS464d=19, and DYS442=13.

                      Randy

                      > DYS389-1=13, DYS389-2=30, DYS437=14, DYS464b=16, DYS464d=18, and
                      DYS442=13.

                      > Eldon

                    • Randy Walker
                      Message 11 of 16 , Apr 10, 2010
                        Eldon,

                        Thanks for that information.  No, I wasn't aware that those values were associated with L148, but do have tests for L148 and L47 currently underway at FTDNA.  I should get the results in a few weeks.

                        Regards,

                        Randy

                        href="mailto:R1b1c_U106-S21%40yahoogroups.com">R1b1c_U106-S21@ yahoogroups. com
                        > I've recently tested positive for L-48 and also have
                        DYS390 = 23, DYS447 =
                        > 24 and GATA H4 = 10 as noted below. Is L48 still
                        considered the Frisian
                        > modal? Have there been any new developments in
                        the past year?

                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Randy Walker

                      • thurlowons
                        Message 12 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                          Randy,

                          It is incorrect to say that R-L48 is considered to be the Frisian Modal. The majority of R-L48 haplotypes do not match the Frisian Modal. The converse however is correct. With only one exception to date that I know of, haplotypes matching the Frisian Modal belong to haplogroup R-L48 and more specifically R-L48x (L47-, L148-). One haplotype in the R-U106 group which matches the Frisian Modal has tested L48-. Regardless, given the large number of supporting YSNP results for haplotypes matching the Frisian modal, I use a match to the Frisian modal to predict R-L48x haplogroup status as is the case for you. However, it is still best to test for L47 and L148 directly to be certain as no prediction is foolproof.

                          Cheers, David.

                          --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "RandyW" <walkerrs15@...> wrote:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > I've recently tested positive for L-48 and also have DYS390 = 23, DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10 as noted below. Is L48 still considered the Frisian modal? Have there been any new developments in the past year?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Randy Walker
                        • Randy Walker
                          Message 13 of 16 , Apr 11, 2010
                            Thanks for the clarification, David.

                            Regards,

                            Randy

                            Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:11 AM

                            Randy,

                            It is incorrect to say that R-L48 is considered to be the Frisian Modal. The majority of R-L48 haplotypes do not match the Frisian Modal. The converse however is correct. With only one exception to date that I know of, haplotypes matching the Frisian Modal belong to haplogroup R-L48 and more specifically R-L48x (L47-, L148-). One haplotype in the R-U106 group which matches the Frisian Modal has tested L48-. Regardless, given the large number of supporting YSNP results for haplotypes matching the Frisian modal, I use a match to the Frisian modal to predict R-L48x haplogroup status as is the case for you. However, it is still best to test for L47 and L148 directly to be certain as no prediction is foolproof.

                            Cheers, David.

                            --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@ yahoogroups. com, "RandyW" <walkerrs15@ ...> wrote:

                            > David,
                            >
                            > I've recently tested positive for L-48 and also have DYS390 = 23,
                            DYS447 = 24 and GATA H4 = 10 as noted below. Is L48 still considered the Frisian modal? Have there been any new developments in the past year?

                            Thanks,

                            > Randy Walker

                          • RandyW
                            Message 14 of 16 , Apr 14, 2010
                              Eldon,

                              FYI - I am negative for L148. L47 test is pending.

                              Randy

                              --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Walker" <walkerrs15@...> wrote:

                              > Eldon,
                              >
                              > Thanks for that information. No, I wasn't aware that those values were associated with L148, but do have tests for L148 and L47 currently underway at FTDNA. I should get the results in a few weeks.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > Randy

                            • Eldon Wade
                              Message 15 of 16 , Apr 14, 2010
                                Thanks for the info Randy.

                                wrote:

                                > Eldon,
                                >
                                > Thanks for that information. No, I wasn't aware that those values were
                                associated with L148, but do have tests for L148 and L47 currently underway
                                at FTDNA. I should get the results in a few weeks.

                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Randy

                              • RandyW
                                Message 16 of 16 , Apr 22, 2010