L44, L46, L47?

  • matthew_kelty
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      FTDNA says that 2 people tested positive for each of these SNP's, does
      anyone have any knowledge about these? Any Y-search entries, etc...
      I'm L48+ and am wondering if it's worth while to do any further testing
      yet...

      Cheers, Matt
    • Michael Maddi
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
        Matt,

        Here's the answer I posted to your same question at dna-forums.org, for the benefit of those on this list who don't hang out there:

        The known people who've tested positive for L44-48 are Hokanson, an R1b-U106 Project member, and Craig Venter, the businessman who's posted his full genome sequence publicly. It's possible that FTDNA confirmed Venter's L48 status through a couple of members of the Venter surname project, who I've been told are distant cousins of Craig Venter.

        It would seem that since Hokanson and Venter have different surnames that L44-47 may not be private SNPs. However, Hokanson does not know the true surname for his paternal line. He was quoted, in another thread here, as writing, "Unreliable surname. My paternal and maternal lines were carefully concealed from me. I was born in 1935, raised in northern Wisconsin and am looking for any close DNA matches that may reveal possible surnames." So, I think it's possible that Hokanson is somehow related to the Venter line and L44-47 are private SNPs. The fact that none of the 19 other R1b-U106 (some L48+, some L48-) who've tested at 23andMe besides Hokanson has tested positive for any of L44-47 yet points in that direction.

        I think anyone who orders any of L44-47 is taking a chance by testing what looks so far to be a private SNP. If they're not private SNPs, they seem to define a very small subclade. If you have the money to spare and are adventurous, go ahead and order them and see what you get.

        Mike Maddi

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
          I will personally be a free rider, staying away from these tests until 1-2 others will test positive on one of them, and in that case I would "bet" on the same marker. No point spending $87 yet, esp. given the unfavourable exchange rate for Canadians these days.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
            Sorry, not marker, but SNP test.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
              Although I knew it was rare, as an L48+, I already ordered L47
              anyway. My DYS signature is close to the U106 modal, and about gd 15
              from Hokanson, I think. I will post my result when it arrives.
              Assuming the result is negative, it would probably only make sense for
              someone closer to Hokanson than me, to test this marker.

              Charles Moore, Kit 66143
            • andyhokanson
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
                Hi Matt,
                I'm the Hokanson referred to in this thread. For selfish reasons, I
                would encourage you to get tested for L44, L46, and L47. One of these
                days there might be a match with someone besides Venter -- nothing
                like hijacking a family tree from some Nth removed cousin. I'm afraid
                it's true that I cannot contribute anything in the way of ancestry.
                Nothing significant has turned up via STRs, so maybe SNPs will change
                things.

                Regards, Andy Hokanson

                --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "matthew_kelty" <mkelty@...> wrote:

                > FTDNA says that 2 people tested positive for each of these SNP's, does
                > anyone have any knowledge about these? Any Y-search entries, etc...
                > I'm L48+ and am wondering if it's worth while to do any further testing
                > yet...
                >
                > Cheers, Matt

              • Charles Moore
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
                  There are only 10 members shown as more closely related to Hokanson
                  than I am, on a 95% TMRCA basis. So if my pending test for L47 is
                  negative, the chance for other positives shrinks considerably. The
                  closer guys are named Carter, Holt, Bayer, Corbett, Dewdney, French,
                  Everett, Smith, Arnold, and Pinnington. Carter is the closest to
                  Hokanson.

                  Charles Moore, 66143
                • matthew_kelty
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009

                    Hi Andy, I'm set to take the plunge, but 1 more quick question.  I guess this goes out to anyone who might know the answer...  On the S21treefrom23andMe.pdf  file, you're listed at the end of L44/L45/L46/L47.  Does that mean you tested positive for all of these SNPs?  So, should I test all of these?  Or go piece-meal about it?  Testing L47 first to see the result...  Thanks in advance.

                    Cheers, Matt

                    --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "andyhokanson" <andyhokanson@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Matt,
                    > I'm the Hokanson referred to in this thread. For selfish reasons, I
                    > would encourage you to get tested for L44, L46, and L47. One of these
                    > days there might be a match with someone besides Venter -- nothing
                    > like hijacking a family tree from some Nth removed cousin. I'm afraid
                    > it's true that I cannot contribute anything in the way of ancestry.
                    > Nothing significant has turned up via STRs, so maybe SNPs will change
                    > things.
                    >
                    > Regards, Andy Hokanson
                    >
                    > --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "matthew_kelty" mkelty@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > FTDNA says that 2 people tested positive for each of these SNP's, does
                    > > anyone have any knowledge about these? Any Y-search entries, etc...
                    > > I'm L48+ and am wondering if it's worth while to do any further testing
                    > > yet...
                    > >
                    > > Cheers, Matt

                  • Charles Moore
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                      A possible clue to Hokanson's rare L47 positive could be his DYS449=27 result, which only 9 out of 658 project members have. So, someone else who is 449=27, and L48+, might want to test L47 on the chance that this might have something to do with it.
                    • Clinton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                        DYS449 is one of these `fast moving markers'

                        Here's what FTDNA has to say about fast moving markers:

                        "The current estimate by the Anthropological community of the mutation rate of Y chromosomal markers used for genealogy is .002, which means that 1 mutation is expected to occur 1 time, per marker, every 500 generations. While this number may be accurate for unrelated males within a population it appears to understate the actual mutation rate when comparisons are made from within a family. Therefore we highlight markers which appear to be more volatile in red, as you can see when you click the GENERATE page from within your GAP. The volatility rate of these markers hasn't been established. We believe that a standard rate of change, across the entire panel, is not likely either.

                        If you have 2 people who match, exactly, except on a single marker and that marker is one that is highlighted in RED within your surname group then the current estimate of distance between 2 people are related is probably overstated, and they are more closely related than could be assumed by the distance suggested by a standard single marker deviation.

                        A comprehensive evaluation of marker by marker volatility rates is currently being organized by the Molecular Lab for Science and Evolution at the University of Arizona and FTDNA surname groups with verified documented genealogies will be able to participate in this study which began during August 2003."

                        Regards,
                        Kit # 23545
                        YSearch id: R464G