LDNA of an American

  • Charles Moore
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 6, 2017
      My Living DNA results are in. All of my English ancestors were in America in the 1600s. All of my Scots and Welsh ancestors were here in the 1700s. My only ancestor who wasn't in America before the Rev War was my Irish Famine Moore ancestor.

      Inevitably at some point in the past our paperwork ancestry and our genetic ancestry are not the same. But anyway, my paperwork says I’m 40% English, but LDNA says 32%. My paper says I'm 16% Scots, but LDNA says 22%. If you had these parts together, the answer is much closer.

      My paper says I'm 9% Welsh, but LDNA says 4%. My paper says I'm 14% Irish, but LDNA says 2%. However, LDNA has 7% Isles unspecified.

      My paperwork says I’m 11% French, 6% Swiss, 2% German, and 1% Dutch, but instead of all of that, LDNA says I’m 32% Scandinavian.

      Finally, the 2% that the other labs all call African, LDNA says is from Pakistan.

      My English components are called as South Central 8%, Southeast 6%, 5% Northumbria, 5% Cumbria, 4% Cornwall, 3% Devon, and 1% South England.

      My Scots components are called 12% Aberdeenshire, 8% Southwest and Ulster, Northwest 1%, and Orkney 1%.

      LDNA says they will unveil more features and improvements as they go along. In my case, they are definitely mistaking my numerous French immigrant ancestors as Scandinavian. But so have other labs.

      Next, I need to compare LDNA’s “genetic geography” maps versus the political maps.
      Overall, I think this is amazing, and I look forward to the improvements.
      The plot thickens. Now I want to know where my propensity for atrial fibrillation comes from. 23andMe warned me about it, and they get the kudos on that one.

      Charles
      "And the beat goes on"...
    • gregkirokh
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 10, 2017
      The 23 and Me data is similar to the LDNA data. The LDNA data though claims most of the European DNA I have can be found in localized regions in Great Britain and Ireland which would agree with a mostly colonial America presents (I guess). This also means that there is a match of data here too. However, without the actual data and assignment guidelines, it is difficult to agree or disagree with specifics. Nonetheless, this agrees with what I think of my Y-DNA and my mother's oral tradition along with what I have read about concerning how people migrated and lived during the yesteryears. I am glad to see more timelines too because I could be 100% American without one.