Re: [R1b1c_U106-S21] Re: Looking for my group

  • Ben Costa
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
      Grame, Does genetic distance of 14 mean that we probably share an ancestor 14 generations ago? Where does you line come from and how far back can you trace?  My Mortelliti line has been in eastern Sicily (towns around Villa Franca, province of Messina) since as early as late 1500s.  There is an inscription dated late 1550s with the name of Pietro Mortelliti as benefactor on a painting in a church in one of the towns. Ben

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010

        My older ancestor was found leaving in a small town called Mimizan around 1625 on the south west cost of France . I am just discovering that this place was a Vikings port around 800BC. This is an interesting coincidence is it not? You can consult http://www.vikinginfrance.com:80/ for more details.

        Gérard CRGDE

        Grame, Does genetic distance of 14 mean that we probably share an ancestor 14 generations ago? Where does you line come from and how far back can you trace?  My Mortelliti line has been in eastern Sicily (towns around Villa Franca, province of Messina) since as early as late 1500s.  There is an inscription dated late 1550s with the name of Pietro Mortelliti as benefactor on a painting in a church in one of the towns. Ben

        Well guys as a fellow L48'er, over 37 markers I have a genetic distance of 14 from Ben and 20 from Gerard.

        I note that Gerard has been tested for 39 markers, with values for 464e and 464f. Seems they were not available when I was tested for 67.

        Gerard: Which particular region do you live in, and do you know if the Gaston family has lived there for many generations?

        Cheers, Graeme

        --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@ yahoogroups. com, "Ben Costa" <benjamin.a.costa@ ...> wrote:

        > Gérard, Roy, Graeme,
        >
        > My Sicilian with surname Mortelliti line is also R1b1b2a1a4. FTDNA ID N25207. www.ysearch. org/ User ID is 7EABZ . Could be Norman. The Normans ruled in Sicily in the Middle Ages.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ben Costa

      • Graeme
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
          Ben,

          A GD of 14 literally means that we differ by 14 allele value counts across the first 37 markers (using FTDNA's marker ordering sequence).

          The only interpretation of GD that I have is FTDNA's and that applies only when the surnames are the same or acceptably similar.

          My documented male line is Irish back to c1820 and, from historical surname research on hand, it appears to have gotten into Ireland c1170 by way of an Anglo-Norman or Cambro-Norman officer present in the invasion force/s of Richard de Clare ("Strongbow"), so it's possibly of Norman origin and may have gotten into England with William's invasion forces of 1066.

          Fairly soon after settling in Ireland and being granted land for service to Henry II, the "de" was dropped and the spelling of the surname was Anglicised. I guess I'm part of that mob of invaders who were described as quickly becoming "more Irish than the Irish themselves".

          If it is of Norman origin, then there's a possibility, from one interpretation of some very old records, that it came Anisy, in the Caen region of what is now Basse-Normandie.

          So, no Italian/Sicilian connection that I'm aware of, and I'd guess from the family's typically fair features and blue eyes that we're from Northern rather than Mediterranean climes.

          (My maternal line is also Irish back to c1820).

          --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Costa" <benjamin.a.costa@...> wrote:

          > Grame, Does genetic distance of 14 mean that we probably share an ancestor 14 generations ago? Where does you line come from and how far back can you trace? My Mortelliti line has been in eastern Sicily (towns around Villa Franca, province of Messina) since as early as late 1500s. There is an inscription dated late 1550s with the name of Pietro Mortelliti as benefactor on a painting in a church in one of the towns. Ben
        • Tom Gull
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
            As a side note, a genetic distance of 14 is sizable and might imply common ancestry thousands of years ago on the Y-DNA line. It does not imply a close relationship. / Tom

            To: R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com
            From: planetgaston@...
            Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:31:46 -0700

            My older ancestor was found leaving in a small town called Mimizan around 1625 on the south west cost of France. I am just discovering that this place was a Vikings port around 800BC. This is an interesting coincidence is it not? You can consult http://www.vikingin france.com: 80/ for more details.

            Gérard CRGDE

            Grame, Does genetic distance of 14 mean that we probably share an ancestor 14 generations ago? Where does you line come from and how far back can you trace?  My Mortelliti line has been in eastern Sicily (towns around Villa Franca, province of Messina) since as early as late 1500s.  There is an inscription dated late 1550s with the name of Pietro Mortelliti as benefactor on a painting in a church in one of the towns. Ben

            Well guys as a fellow L48'er, over 37 markers I have a genetic distance of 14 from Ben and 20 from Gerard.

            I note that Gerard has been tested for 39 markers, with values for 464e and 464f. Seems they were not available when I was tested for 67.

            Gerard: Which particular region do you live in, and do you know if the Gaston family has lived there for many generations?

            Cheers, Graeme

            --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@ yahoogroups. com, "Ben Costa" <benjamin.a.costa@ ...> wrote:

            > Gérard, Roy, Graeme,
            >
            > My Sicilian with surname Mortelliti line is also R1b1b2a1a4. FTDNA ID N25207. www.ysearch. org/ User ID is 7EABZ . Could be Norman. The Normans ruled in Sicily in the Middle Ages.