RE: RE: Re: [R1b1c_U106-S21] R1b-U106 Chromo2 List of Testees

  • gtc131
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1 2:37 AM

      I suppose you could round up a few at Oktoberfest (preferably *before* they start celebrating)  :-)

      but you're leaving too late for the 2013 event. Maybe next time.

      ---In r1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, <r1b1c_u106-s21@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      "A U106 Ship of Fools, sailing the rivers of Northern Europe."

      Aye, keeping the wind in our sails, an eye on the horizon, and our Captain Moore at the helm of the Jolly Sanger.

      Our U106 forebears would be proud, I"m sure.

      Don Byars

      ---In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, <r1b1c_u106-s21@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      A U106 Ship of Fools, sailing the rivers of Northern Europe.

      Does anyone have any halfway sensible idea regarding me taking some test kits with me to Switzerland and my cruise down the Rhine?  One problem is that it is a package trip, so there won't be any good way for me to get any significant distance away from the river, and the ship only stops where it stops.  As far as testing strangers, the probability in most places, despite the home base area, is that we will end up with R1a or Haplogroup I guys.  So it's very hard to imagine any sensible idea.  If anyone knows anyone they want tested, who they could persuade to meet me at the boat dock in one of the towns where my boat docks, then I could help you out by taking a kit and swabbing your target, and bringing it back.  So, let's think about it.  I know that there have been concerns about shipping costs, and I can save you that cost.

      You can email me, or put an idea out here in public.  I leave on Oct 27.  I could very easily get an FTDNA kit.  Or otherwise we should still have time to order any other kit you want to use.  I need to look up my stops along the river.  It would also be fun to meet Philippe or Christiaan if they were anywhere near the river.

      I also have a plan to cruise the Danube next year, but no reservation yet.

      Don, you're doing a great job organizing our Chromo test group.  Yeeha!

      Charles

      On Sep 30, 2013, at 9:13 PM, <snake86413@...> wrote:

      I remember back when there was just a hand full of Geno2 U106 testees, not unlike we have now with Chromo2,, and then I remember joking about U106 having 52 Geno2 testees, and were quickly catching up to the Geno2 R1b-L21 guys, who had 55 testees.  Now U106 has well over 200 Geno2 testees.  I hope Chromo2 goes at least half as well as Geno2.

      We U106ers are a bunch of DNA testing fools.  Ain't it great!

      Don Byars

      ---In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, <r1b1c_u106-s21@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks, Piero  This is great!

      And here's to hoping the Z346>568=10 group finds their own SNP with Chromo2, just as Charles' Z7>510=15 group found their CTS10893 SNP with Geno2, or maybe your Z346>413a=22 will find your own SNP and split from the group in your own direction.  Who Knows?.

      And maybe we'll get a couple of Z343>492=14 testees , and they'll take a shot at finding their own SNP with Chromo2.

      R1b-U106 Chromo2 list #8:

      John Gordon:            U106

      Ernest K Johnson:    U106>DF98>L128

      Gary Blakely:            U106>DF96>P89.2>PF4142.x

      Parke Snavely:         U106>L48>L200

      Gerald Lyons:          U106>Z8>Z12

      Eldon Wade:             U106>Z8>Z12>L148
      Piero Sinclair:           U106>Z1>Z346
      Don Byars:               U106>Z1>CTS7080

      Don Byars

      ---In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, <r1b1c_u106-s21@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      OK Don, I've just ordered the kit. Z346+.

      On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM, <snake86413@...> wrote:

      R1b-U106 Chromo2 list #6:

      John Gordon:            U106

      Ernest K Johnson:    U106>DF98>L128

      Gary Blakely:            U106>DF96>P89.2>PF4142.x

      Parke Snavely:         U106>L48>L200

      Gerald Lyons:           U106>Z8>Z12

      Eldon Wade:             U106>Z8>Z12>L148
      Don Byars:                U106>Z1>CTS7080

      Okay, we now have slot openings for testees in the L200 branch and the Z346 branch under Z1.  And another U106* testee would give us our first 10 testees.

      Don Byars

    • Debbie Kennett
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1 3:45 AM
        Charles

        It might be an idea for you to contact Chris Rottensteiner who runs the Alpine DNA Project. I believe he lives in Switzerland:

        Shipping is not a problem with Family Tree DNA because they only charge $7 to post a kit anywhere in the world. However, shipping is a big problem with 23andMe because they insist on sending out all their kits using a courier service. You then also have all the added inconvenience of making sure you're in when the courier arrives to deliver and collect the kit. Shipping to Europe costs almost as much as the test itself and in some countries it costs more:

        Enjoy your trip!

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1 3:52 AM
          I have a great idea, Charles.  If you take your bicycle along, hop off at Karlsruhe, peddle like mad NE to Kirchardt, take a left to Neckarau, and hop back on your ship, and just concentrate on swabbing those guys named Klein or Roth, it might work.  Better yet, take six bikes and many more kits and recruit five buddies from your fellow passengers and make it some kind of challenge, you could cover most of north Baden!  But remember to concentrate on Klein and Roth.  Give the winner a nice bottle of Rhine wine or a case of the local Pilsener but leave it on the boat as incentive to return the kits....and bicycles.

          John M Rhodes

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1 3:59 AM
            Hmmm.  I think it might be better to forget the boat and just bicycle all the way.  If you start in Switzerland I am pretty sure it would be down hill all the way!

            John M Rhodes

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1 5:17 AM
              Wouldn't that be fun, swabbing a bunch of guys while they sing songs with their mugs up?

              Charles

              Recent Activity:
              Yahoo! Groups
              Switch to:
            • Charles Moore
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1 5:23 AM
                John, over the course of time, you've developed this dreamer quality.  Dream on, buddy!

                Charles

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1 5:42 AM
                  :-(  I guess my suggestion doesn't pass the "halfway sensible" test.

                  John M Rhodes

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1 5:59 AM
                    It would have worked fine last week when I was still a young healthy studly guy.  Alas, .......

                    Charles

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1 7:54 AM
                      You're hired!

                      Charles

                      On Oct 1, 2013, at 8:54 AM, <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

                      Charles you need to get someone in the local media who does human interest stories involved to spread the word about your trip/stops/DNA effort. It could be a fun media story. But you have to get it going before you leave so there would be media guys (and potential DNA testees) to meet you along the way - don't know exactly where/how much distance your trip will go. (The cruise director might even know media that could help)

                      The other way to go is to contact the local historical/genealogical societies over there and have them meet up with you along the way with potential DNA testees. "Meet Charles for lunch and a cheek swab."

                      Can a quick BLOG page for your trip be set up? This is a great opportunity to get DNA from that region.

                      Ask folks on this list to purchase one 12 marker kit to send with you - lots of $10 discount codes available will make the kit $39. If the test comes back as something other than U106, then the kit can be passed over to the appropriate haplogroup project and they can take it from there.

                      Charles you need a local press secretary over there!  LOL

                      Connie