Re: Goggle Earth

  • Ernest K Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 5:58 PM
      Mike I'm with you. That a long ways to go and not speak to newly found relatives. I think I would have winged it on the German. Of course a lot of Germans understand English.
      Ernest
      --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dutton" <michaeldutton@...> wrote:

      > My paternal grandmother’s grandfather came from Zuzenhausen, Germany. His surname was Karrer, but he changed it to Karr so his jewelry store customers in Washington, DC, would be able to better pronounce his name.
      >
      > A distant cousin of mine traveled there. She was unable to meet with any living cousins, though they are still living in the town, but did manage to get a photograph of a Karrer home. She, my cousin, was on a limited schedule and did not want to “pop” in on folks, on a Sunday, whom she’d never met and did not know.........
      >
      > I can understand that, but a brash old curmudgeon like myself would have done otherwise!! Might have been problematic, as I do not speak German!

    • tidmay
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 4:32 AM
        Paul,

        Thanks for the tip.

        Tim

        Subject: Re: [R1b1c_U106-S21] Goggle Earth
        To: "R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com" <R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013, 4:15 PM

        Ernest,
        Also,
        I assume you know you can find maps that correspond to the
        areas surveyed on Griffiths Valuation.  You can then
        look and see those same locations today using Google earth
        (maps.)  I have overlayed my Roche names from Griffiths
        over the existing Google maps today to get a rough idea of
        where they all were in County Wexford near
        Enniscorthy...   Paul
        Roche

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 8:38 AM
          The Bowmont Valley has street view!
          I've already picked out where I'd put MY peal tower.
          ~Steve Young