Re: R1b-L48-WTY Waiting Game

  • Charles Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 5:58 AM
      Good thinking, John. I imagine that Thomas Krahn at FTDNA will test a shared SNP across the board like that against DNA from upstream groups on his own. I doubt if any SNP shared across the entire group would be downstream of L48, because the group is so broad, and my own DNA is very close to that of 390=23 members who are L48-. In fact there could be a shared SNP above L48 that would pull in some of the L48- who are 390=23, depending on whether or not they have that repeat count as a result of convergence, or not.

      But I do agree with your scientific idea of control, in general. There has been some discussion among U106* (L48-) members about a WTY of their own. This idea makes sense as an effort to find another haplogroup descendant of U106 to which some current U106* would belong. I personally imagine that such a haplogroup SNP probably does exist, but obviously we have no idea really, and only testing, and time, will tell. My own advice to the L48- members at this point is to wait and see what happens with the L48+ WTY. Because, as you suggested, the L48 WTY participants may share a SNP upstream of L48 that could pull some of the L48- into a group with them.

      Thanks for the excellent thought.

      Charles

      --- In R1b1c_U106-S21@yahoogroups.com, John German <german@...> wrote:

      > If a new SNP is found common to all of the 11 participants, how will you
      > know if it is upstream or downstream from L48+? Shouldn't you also have
      > some L48- for "control"?
      >
      > Charles Moore wrote:
      >
      > >Now, there are incredibly 11 participants in the Walk Through the Y, representing a total investment of $8,250 on the part of the participants and contributors. A few of them have not revealed themselves in public, but all have agreed to make their data public when the results arrive. With respect to the experimental Branches spreadsheet in this yahoogroup's Files section, there is at least 1 participant from each of Branch A, B, C, D, E, F, H, as well as 3 from the null 425 cluster. So, the participants are spread very well throughout the haplogroup.

    • Charles Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 6:04 AM
        Good to see that you are keeping up Brian, and doing a better job of it than me. And yes, I don't know why I didn't think to repeat a Trekism from my own generation and one of my favorite shows.

        The new Star Trek prequel from when our fictional heroes were young, starts soon in theatres.

        If you have a goofy sense of humor, and like Star Trek, then you should rent "Galaxy Quest", a hilarious spoof.

        Charles