RE: [R1b1c_U106-S21] Re: Devon, S.W England

  • Brian Swann
    Message 1 of 64 , Feb 1, 2013

      I hope that while all you genetic "whiz kids" are having fun breaking trail in this discipline you will also give a wee bit of thought to how easy a trail it might be to follow. As Debbie has pointed out, how easy it will be for us to convince new people that this is a good way to spend their hard earned money.

      I think this is a perfectly valid question, but cannot be answered right now.  It will be answered by the people who have the money spending it, and showing what can be done.  This is a continually evolving field for the foreseeable future.

      Many people almost want some sort of guarantee that a DNA test will work for them, personally.  I do wonder also whether we have a problem which may be more peculiarly British.

      There was a survey this week trying to understand why British cancer diagnosis and survival rates are in the middle for Europe and not at the top of the league.  One of their conclusions was that it was British reticence to ask for help or to disturb their doctor, whom they perceived was always very busy.  This may also be generationally related.

      And I just wonder if some of that carries over into DNA testing.  Trying to figure it out yourself, not asking or looking for any advice.  And spending money on companies which appeal to you through their advertising.  After all – any DNA test is much the same, isn’t it?  In principle we should all research online what we are going to buy, if it is moderately expensive, then make a rational decision after comparing all the salient facts.

      But sometimes human nature takes over and we do impulse buying, based on pretty nebulous facts.

      Brian

      Message 64 of 64 , Feb 1, 2013
        I don't know about others but I've learned more about my own family history since I was Y-DNA tested than either my parents, grandparents or probably even great-grandparents ever knew. Now if we could just learn where the 1st American Elliott of my line caught the boat west.

        I suppose all it takes is for a single generation to drop the ball. It may be that culturally we just don't value our ancestors as much as some others. I read of a man from India whose father's line was know 3,000+ years back....bob