17854Re: [R1b1c_U106-S21] RE: Big Y average 60x coverage

  • G. Magoon
    Nov 14, 2013
      Fair enough, Mike, but in the analogy, I think there is also something to be said for seeing the television/car prior to purchase.

      For context, in terms of issue of database issue that you brought up, Full Genomes maintains a database of about 1500 male whole genome results for comparison.

      On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Mike W <mwwdna@...> wrote:

      Debbie,

      We don't really have the full specifications on cars, televisions, etc. so this is no different. Do you know how many lines of software code are in 2013 model car? The truth is we couldn't understand it all if we had it.

      I disagree with you that the long-term viability of a company is less important for this kind of situation. Of course it is important. Only for the true early explorers/pioneers and "do it yourself" people is long term viability not important. BTW, I thank those folks for their tireless commitment. These folks and the career scientists are needed for advancement of the whole discipline.

      For the rest of us, who aren't do it yourself types, we are probably looking at things genetic genealogy. In that case, we don't really care about the thousands of upstream SNPs. They are mere clutter. I suspect I don't care too much about BAM files or the real biology of the Y chromosome. I'm not saying they are not important, but I would like the testing company provide results to me in a broadly usable form.

      In genetic genealogy, many of us may most care about last thousand years or even less. This becomes the commercial marketplace dilemma. There is almost an inverse correlation so that the more important an SNP is to a lineage, the smaller the marketplace. I think this is part of the reason why STRs are still important.

      For genetic genealogy reasons, having a lot of detailed information about one's chromosome is useless without people to compare it with who've taken the same test. This is what matching databases and projects are all about. A long-term viable companies are required to build and maintain a large databases.

      Regards,
      Mike W

      On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Debbie Kennett <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

      Mike

      What you say is very true. The difficulty with so many DNA tests is that, unlike cars, televisions or DVD recorders, the providers rarely give us the full technical details of their products on their website so we're left very much in the dark. I imagine this information is withheld delibarately for competitive reasons. Few, if any potential customers, will in any case understand the implications of the differing specs anyway. It's a steep learning curve for us all.

      With a comprehensive Y test it seems to me that the long-term viability of a company is probably less of an issue so long as you have the BAM files. Much will depend on the level of analysis offered for those of us who don't have the advanced skills necessary to interpret the data.

      __._,_

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic