17839Big Y and "raw data"

  • wing_genealogist
    Nov 14, 2013
      One of the concernrs regarding the Big Y test is whether FTDNA will be releasing the "raw data" for folks.

      The issue of raw data is quite complex, but in this context, it is likely this would mean to release the BAM files generated for each individual.

      "Your Genetic Genealogist" blog recently reported the following:

      Throughout the genetic genealogy community for the last couple of days, there has been speculation that Family Tree DNA's Big Y product will not include raw data downloads. I found this very difficult to believe with FTDNA's track record of transparency, so I asked Gene by Gene's new Chief Scientific Officer Dr. David Mittelman for clarification on this matter. He confirmed that, while the Big Y results will consist of SNP calls, the raw data will be available for those who want it - just as it is for the company's exome and whole genome products. He added, "We will want to set up some infrastructure to support downloading these big raw files and we will need to clarify for customers that our CSRs are obviously not able to offer advice or support on how to use them."

      I am relieved (although not surprised) to hear this, as I am sure many of you are. I appreciate Dr. Mittelman's quick response to my inquiry even though he was traveling.