Why more STR markers is good - Fwd: when a 67-marker match isn't a 111-marker match

  • Mike Wdna
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2013
      I saw this on another forum yesterday. Sometimes it is just happenstance that markers that line up with some one else's are in the first 37 or even first 67 versus 68-111. However, the more markers you test out, the better chance of accuracy.

      Regards,
      Mike W

      ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Diana Gale Matthiesen <DianaGM@...>
      Date: Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM
      Subject: [Y-DNA-projects] when a 67-marker match isn't a 111-marker match

      I just had some very interesting results return...

      This individual is adopted and doesn't know his parentage, so when he got a
      65/67 match with a family in one of my projects, was elated and asked to join.
      Of course, I let him.

      His 111-marker results have now returned, and he has sunk to only an 87/111
      match with the family!  Talk about crashing his hopes that he'd found his
      family.

      He is R1b1a2, and his 12-marker haplotype is WAMH.  This is certainly the group
      in which we would expect there is the greatest danger of coincidental matches.
      This individual is certainly a warning for us to be cautious, even at 67
      markers.  If the individuals have a documented paper connection, I would rest
      easy with a 65/67 match, even in R1b1a2, but lacking that supporting evidence,
      it is clearly dangerous to rely on 67 markers, alone, in a common haplogroup.

      FTDNA used to have some pages online discussing the relevance of matching
      levels.  I see these pages are no longer there, at least not at their old URLs.
      Does anyone have any new links to these pages?  Or some other pages with the
      same function?

      Diana