R1b1a2/R-M269: Now What?

  • aylarja
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      I am relatively new to genetic genealogy, and tested around the first of the year with both Family Tree DNA (67-marker Y-DNA) and 23andMe. FTDNA estimated my Y-DNA haplogroup to be R1b1a2/R-M269. 23andMe determined my paternal haplogroup to be R1b1b2a1a1*. From the reading I've done, my understanding is that my next step in narrowing down my pretty generic Y-DNA haplogroup would be to take the National Geographic Geno 2.0 test for the array of Y-SNP tests it includes. Am I correct?

      Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

      James Aylard
    • Douglas W. Fisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
        James,

        Yes Gene 2.0 will show your terminal snp. According to 23andme R1b1b2a1a1* is R1b-U106. 23andMe uses a 2009 tree, so they do not have the snp(s) downstream of U106. I am 40% done with Gene 2.0, and you would be wise to order the Gene 2.0 kit.

                                                 Best Regards, Doug
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013

          IF I have ordered the FTDNA test and know my terminal snp (R-L 21) is there a reason to order Gene  2.0?

          Sean Patrick Tracey

          Board Certified-Personal Injury Trial Law-Texas Board of Legal Specialization

          Board Certified-Civil Trial Law-National Board of Trial Advocacy

          American Board of Trial Advocates

          Tracey Law Firm

          440 Louisiana Suite 1901

          Houston, Texas 77002

          713-495-2333

          713-495-2331 (fax)

          Traceylawfirm.com

          Yes Gene 2.0 will show your terminal snp. According to 23andme R1b1b2a1a1* is R1b-U106. 23andMe uses a 2009 tree, so they do not have the snp(s) downstream of U106. I am 40% done with Gene 2.0, and you would be wise to order the Gene 2.0 kit.

                                                   Best Regards, Doug

          I am relatively new to genetic genealogy, and tested around the first of the year with both Family Tree DNA (67-marker Y-DNA) and 23andMe. FTDNA estimated my Y-DNA haplogroup to be R1b1a2/R-M269. 23andMe determined my paternal haplogroup to be R1b1b2a1a1*. From the reading I've done, my understanding is that my next step in narrowing down my pretty generic Y-DNA haplogroup would be to take the National Geographic Geno 2.0 test for the array of Y-SNP tests it includes. Am I correct?

          Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

          James Aylard

        • Raymond Wing
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
            While the Geno 2.0 test is overall a good way to narrow down your haplogroup, it is missing some key SNPs below R1b-U106.

            I would suggest you join the R1b-U106 Haplogroup project http://www.familytreedna.com/public/U106/U106 is a large haplogroup, with a number of subclades. Several project members (including myself) try to predict which haplogroup individuals would likely fall under based upon their STR markers. Many of the SNPs available on the Geno 2.0 test are also available for purchase individually through FTDNA.

            Ray
            I am relatively new to genetic genealogy, and tested around the first of the year with both Family Tree DNA (67-marker Y-DNA) and 23andMe. FTDNA estimated my Y-DNA haplogroup to be R1b1a2/R-M269. 23andMe determined my paternal haplogroup to be R1b1b2a1a1*. From the reading I've done, my understanding is that my next step in narrowing down my pretty generic Y-DNA haplogroup would be to take the National Geographic Geno 2.0 test for the array of Y-SNP tests it includes. Am I correct?

            Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

            James Aylard

          • PETER BIGGINS
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
              Sean,

              Your terminal SNP is DF21, which is not included in Geno 2.0.

              No one in the Ely Carroll project has uploaded Geno 2.0 results yet. I am not aware of anyone in the Ely Carroll project who has ordered it. So, there is a possibility that you could find a SNP downstream of L21. There are other reasons for doing Geno 2.0 besides your terminal SNP.

              Peter Biggins

              On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Sean P. Tracey wrote:

[...]

                               &n bsp;                         Best Regards, Doug

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
                    Hello Sean,

                    There is a possibility that geno 2.0 could identify a SNP downstream of DF21. DF21 is old. It is much broader than Ely Carroll DNA. It occurred something like 1,000 BC. It is entirely possible that  other SNPs occurred later.

                    I have not done Geno 2.0. Perhaps others in this group would respond about their experience with it.

                    Peter

                    On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Sean P. Tracey wrote:

[...]

                  • John McDonald
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
                      I ordered Geno2 and learned nothing different that I am told. L21/L513+/L69.5+

                      Sort of seems a waist but I am not the pro.