Re:ABrAZo - Ancient Britain and the Atlantic Zone

  • Pat Benham
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
      To add to my observations on the Celtic From The West debate and the recent Oxford forum, I have found this interesting commentary which challenges the Cunliffe/Koch viewpoint in some details. Scroll down and you will find quite a bit about P312 and its subclades. It could be that someone has already told the group about this article before I joined. I have not thought much about the argument yet apart from seeing it is very relevant.

      Here is a segment to give you an idea before downloading the thing (URL below it):

      Recent YDNA investigation in Belgium and the southern Netherlands revealed lots of the potentially Celtic P312 marker. However, unlike the British situation this P312 marker is hardly differentiated. Only one subclade, characterized by the U152 mutation, has a clear reading in the south, but nothwithstanding the frequent local association with another L2 mutation this “Celtic” subbranch rather links to the Upper Rhine or (Roman?) Italy than Britain. U152 can’t be the Atlantic marker that accompanied the Celts when they arrived in the coastal marches.

      One explanation for the undifferentiated portion of the candidate P312 left may be that Celts arrived in the neighbourhood already before the differentiation of P312 in the main current subclades even occurred. Assumed that local domination of each known subclade of P312 essentially reflects younger events than the initial spread of (undifferentiated) P312*, the current subclade distribution may simply be not decisive in reflecting early Celtic subdivisions...

      The complete page is here:   http://rokus01.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-celtic-origin-revise/

      Regards   Pat Benham

    • Richard Stevens
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
        I remember "rokus" from dna-forums. I see no reason to give his blog much attention. Sorry.

        Rich

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
          I'll accept your judgement on Rokus, Rich. Thanks. It's hard to know when you come across something that appears to be so well-informed and looks plausible.

          Pat