Posting a database for sharing info?

  • mikewww7
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
      I see that there is a "database" option on the left. I have also read that some people are posting spreadsheets to Google documents for sharing some how. I've got a spreadsheet of R-L21* haplotypes with potential cluster assignments. Think of it as FTDNA L21Plus project plus whatever I could find in Ysearch and elsewhere, and some fancy spreadsheet options.

      Is there a good way to share this data? It does change almost daily, weekly for sure. It would be most useful shared in the Excel format it's in.
    • Richard Stevens
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
        You could try that option and see what happens. It couldn't hurt!

        Rich

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
          I have posted stuff from McGee's Utility on Google Documents before. It worked fine.

          But try the "Database" thingie on our new Yahoo Group. I want to see how that works.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
            Looking forward to future expansion you will probably want to have a
            look at Google's Fusion Tables:

            https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=fusiontables

            I recommend a simple vertical data structure with the columns:

            This can be used for STR as well as SNP results. It is easily possible
            to expand this with any new marker that will be discovered in the future.

            I hope this helps,

            Thomas

          • dnalister@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
              We have used the Yahoo database feature in the Beatty-Byrnes Yahoo group, but I don't think it's what Mike wants. We have spreadsheet type stuff posted under the Files section. So if the Yahoo group is used, I would try using the Files section first. Or you may want to try out the suggestion from Thomas.

              Kirsten

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2009
                Rich, I tried to attach a spreadsheet to this forum. When I go over to "Attachments" on the left right underneath "Post" I get the following message -
                "The Group's Email Attachment Archive setting is currently set to not archive attachments. Please contact the group moderator to enable this setting.
                There are no attachments available."

                Can you turn on this feature?