Re: Step Question

  • Cathy R
    Message 1 of 332 , Aug 1 4:17 PM
      I'd like to add on to Susan's post here and say that whether or not to pursue a large step difference depends a lot on how many markers were tested. The more markers tested, the higher you can go in the genetic differences and be worth a harder look. So a genetic difference of 5 at 67 markers is most likely going to be worth pursuing additional research than a genetic distance of 5 at 37 markers.

      Cathy

      --- In R1b-L21-Project@yahoogroups.com, Susan Hedeen <chantillycarpets@...> wrote:

      > The step count is what it infers. The distance counting from another
      > haplotype makes no real discrimination about what kind of a mutation any
      > given locus shows; in other words that 2 step could be the difference
      > between 2 loci values as in for example 13 24 14 *10*/13 24 14 *12*; the
      > highlighted values is equal to 2 steps in that particular loci. With a
      > 7 step difference generally being a combination of 1 step and 2 step
      > differences, although this is not a hard and fast rule...
      >
      > This is opposed to a mutation counting method called infinite allele in
      > which regardless of distance each value difference is counted as 1 for
      > example, that 10--12 difference would be counted as 1.
      >
      > The reason why FTDNA examples these is to cover their bases; hence they
      > will show the number of steps away in any 2 samples, but in their close
      > matching supposedly they use the infinite allele mutation counting to
      > assess them.
      >
      > 2 step differences may occur in a single mutation event...this is more
      > clearly seen in same surname lineages which are compatible in their YDNA
      > signatures; however in FTDNA's matching they do not necessarily pay
      > attention to surnames, haplogroups, sub-clades. Often there will be
      > matches showing in different sub-clades, rarely in different
      > haplogroups, but with the lower marker panels such as the 12 marker
      > format it has happened. Hope this helps. susan
    • Joseph E Carroll
      Message 332 of 332 , Sep 26, 2013
        Mike:

        Kit 179146 Desmond has 594=3. Is this real, or has some sort of error occurred?

        On Sep 26, 2013, at 12:42 AM, <mwwdna@...> wrote:

        I updated the R1b-L21_haplotypes spreadsheet with the latest SNP results. Its found under the Links section of this Yahoo group under "Haplotype Data".

        The following link is the descendency tree for L21's phylogeny that shows how the spreadsheet treats SNPs and creates the haplogroup column.
        http://tinyurl.com/R1b-L21-Tree

        Regards,
        Mike W