22835Re: The R1b-L1335 Project participants update on SNP PF5236

  • Sherril Stewart
    May 24, 2014

      My brother, Patrick Moore, has tested S744+ (YSEQ) and PF5236- (GENO 2.0).  It has been suggested I test for for S764/S7370 next with YSEQ.  Any advice on that and maybe other SNPs to test?

      Moore N36830/UNP4A YSEQ #147, 23&Me, GENO 2.0, AncestryDNA
      R-L21, CTS11722+, L1335+ ,S744+, L1334-, PF5236-, S691-, Z13851-

      On May 24, 2014, at 8:55 AM, Robert <robert_hughes6@...> wrote:

      Saturday, 24-May-2014
      The R1b-L1335 Project participants update on SNP PF5236
         FTDNA’s Big Y (actually NatGen’s Geno2 was first to id it) has identified another downstream SNP (PF5236) under SNP S744. That SNP (S744) has at least six branches under it with additional SNPs expected to show up.
         All PF5236 people (so far) have a recognizable modal with three distinct STR results (11-11-10) in their particular haplotype.
         Two people are positive for the upstream SNP S744 but are negative for SNP PF5236. One (Rodgers) is part of a sublineage with an equally distinct (but different) modal which may possibly be delineated by the SNPs CTS4931 and/or Z1525. They will need more testing to confirm if they have their own unique downstream SNP.
         The second person (Keiller) is S744+ but PF5236-, however he shares one of the three distinct STS’s linked with PF5235 people and is also positive for their novel variant SNP 24276307. If that SNP (24276307) proves reliable, then he could be the bridge between S744 and PF5236. Again, more testing is needed there.
         The BritainsDNA newsletter mentions the Wales L1335 participants  (they are L1335+ / S530+ but L1065- / S749-)  with an interesting hint of more to come. It’s nice to see that someone agrees with me that the Wales L1335+ group and the Wales L371+ group are among the earliest inhabitants of the British Isles.
         For those of us here in the US, here’s wishing all a pleasant Memorial Day weekend.
      Regards, Robert

      A portion reprinted from the BritainsDNA newsletter with the Wales group mentioned in the third paragraph. They use the Chromo2 designation ofS530+S749-.
      Regards, Robert

      Who Are the Welsh?

      Recently we have become very interested in DNA samples from Wales. Although they seem to ask more questions than they answer. A good example of the mysteries of Welsh DNA was discovered in the north.
      Romans came after AD43, many thousands of men brought the Y chromosome DNA of the Mediterranean to Britain as they garrisoned and administered the new province, and we have discovered that it probably left an indelible print in Abergele where a group of 38 men have been found to carry E-V13, a Balkan haplogroup. They were most likely miners at the huge prehistoric copper mine at Great Orme’s Head at Llandudno which was reopened after 43AD. Can we find more traces of the Roman Empire in Wales? Or is there a deeper mystery hidden in the mines at Abergele, a deposit from the prehistoric European trade in tin, an essential ingredient in bronze?
      There is also a puzzling link with Scotland. There is a rare group in Wales labeled S530+S749 - which appears to be closely related to the Pictish types we have found in Scotland. This is based on a small sample but may show an ancient connection between early and indigenous Scottish types and indigenous Welsh types to the exclusion of indigenous Irish types. These links are no more than spider threads and without much more sampling, none of us would put our names to them. But these tantalising links may well be there, only more sampling will tell. And all of this speaks to a sense of the Welsh as an old community, perhaps the oldest in the British Isles. We will update you as research progresses.
      <R-PF5236 Phylotree.docx>

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic