729URGENT: Security Needed at Hallidie Plaza (elevator service)

  • Justin DeCastro
    Mar 1, 2010
      To:  Cpt Gary Jimenez, Tenderloin Police Station
            Jamie Osborne, SFMTA
            Ken Stein, Mayors Office on Disability/MOD

      Greetings:

      As you must all know by now, the Powell Street Station street elevator has been out of service due to major over-haul for several months now.

      The Hallidie Plaza elevator officially is serving, in the interim, as the only provision for mobility-impaired and wheelchair user access between the Market Street level and the concourse level for Muni and BART riders.

      I continue to receive complaints from Tenderloin and downtown residents that Hallidie Plaza is not adequately secured, especially after evening rush-hour until closing at 1:00 a.m., so that elders and people with disabilities feel unsafe being confronted by unsavory characters (possibly drug dealers) as they go into and out of the Hallidie Plaza elevator.  The lights in the Plaza level itself are out in the later evenings, even though there is some lighting at the elevator door itself.  This is not adequate for security, is it?

      Could you please see if perhaps SFPD, Muni and BART police might be able to coordinate more security for the Plaza in the evenings?  And can they keep the lights in the Plaza level on until 1 a.m. when the transit systems close for the night?

      We may be frail and/or disabled San Franciscans, but we have lives to lead and are as entitled as any other passengers to feel safe in Hallidie Plaza in the evenings as we return from visiting friends across town, or from community and social events, or from any other functions we attend at night.  We should not have to travel in fear, as I'm sure you will agree.

      Thank you for your anticipated attention to this security matter.  We trust you will take action before anyone is injured.

      --
                    JUSTIN DeCASTRO
                justindecastro@...