728Re: Fwd: URGENT: Security Needed at Hallidie Plaza (elevator service)

  • Justin DeCastro
    Mar 2, 2010
      Tommy, thanks, I totally agree with everything you're saying.

      First off, let me be clear that I loved the street life and was either hustling, cruising or just hanging out on the streets most of my life up until a few years ago when I wound up having to rely on a power chair for getting around very far outdoors.  That's about the time I got much more heavily involved in the disability rights community and movement for the first time in earnest.  Hardly a coincidence, indeed.  I soon learned how more challenging it is to live without being able to walk as far as I like as in the better days.

      As I've found out in these past years, it seems I don't get half as fired up as other wheelchair users who try to navigate around folks sitting or lying around on the sidewalks. I also don't elicit the same reaction I hear from other wheelchair users -- they complain of being hit on for money simultaneously with being insulted for being gimps by street people. So I suppose a sort of anti-street people resentment has taken foothold now even among people with disabilities/PWD who feel harassed by them and see them as a nuisance to get around on sidewalks.

      In my experience, I do get hit on for money but when I tell them, "sorry, I'm broke,"  I don't get the kind of lip other wheelchair users tell me they do. I guess it's a matter of knowing how to communicate with street people, and like in any other demographic, some are cool, others suck. I do suspect that a lot of wheelchair folks just feel easily intimidated by street types.

      In any case, how, then, while preserving our Constitutional freedoms of movement, assembly, expression, etc., do we resolve the problem on the Haight?  Is it truly just merchants and no residential folks who are pushing for the sit/lie thing?

      Tommi, thanks for reminding me of some of those ugly consequences like to come with the sit/lie ordinance.  I'm taking the liberty of posting this on QV, because we need to remind folks that the sit/lie was shot down once as UNconstitutional, and certainly nothing has changed in that respect.

      So how can Gascon and Gavin actually pull this off?  I heard the ordinance is already being challenged.  Won't there be restraining orders issued?

      Our Constitutional freedoms are already harnessed by a Patriot Act that allows the Executive to declare any of us, United States citizens or not, "suspected enemy combatants", and allow us to be jailed without right of counsel, habeas corpus, etc.  We don't need "sit/lie" to make their jobs that much easier in San Francisco's jurisdiction.

      Next thing we know they'll be declaring martial law.

                    JUSTIN DeCASTRO
             Live & Let Live! Love & Let Love!

      On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM, tommi avicolli mecca <avimecca@...> wrote:
      Hi Justin
      The problem is that specifying for a certain street or area may be patently unconstitutional since that is discriminatory. Also, even if it's not, the police may not stick to that and may hassle people at 17th & Market/Castro, especially if they appear "homeless." And what about day laborers in the Mission? This is a good way for neighbors to get the cops to do their dirty work of evicting day laborers from the street.
      Sit/lie is dangerous. In its original form in the 70s, it was used to harass and arrest gay men. Harvey Milk opposed it in 74 after a young gay man was beaten by cops outside a gay bar and 13 others were arrested for violation of sit/lie. In 79, the ACLU challenged it and had it struck down, with the support of queer groups.
      This law will not solve any problems. Problem people in the Haight will merely stand when causing problems rather than sit or lie down. And if they get cited enough and it turns into a warrant, they will have problems in the future getting any federally funded housing.
      It's a disaster all around.
      You're right, it's an attack on our constitutional rights! No sit/lie in SF! Will the city spend millions defending it when it is challenged again in court? Money that could be used to address the situation without attacking our civil liberties.
      Take care, Justin.

       From:       Justin DeCastro <justindecastro@...>

       To:         "Osborne, Jamie C" <jamie.osborne@...>, Ken Stein <Ken.Stein@...>, ADAPT-CAL@yahoogroups.com, Berkeley-Disabled
                   <berkeley-disabled@yahoogroups.com>, Chris Daly <Chris.Daly@...>, Bevan Dufty <Bevan.Dufty@...>

       Date:       03/02/2010 04:40 PM

      Could you please notify DPW directly that there needs to be lighting in
      Hallidie Plaza closest to the elevator system there?  I figure you have
      direct contact over City departments, correct?

      Thank you so much.

                    JUSTIN DeCASTRO           justindecastro@...
             Live & Let Live! Love & Let Love!