Re: Raven buzzing (probably PSU) - any ideas how to fix?

  • somethingkillingyou
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
      Hi

      I got the same problem with my Raven, purchased 2 months ago...
      and yes, it comes from the PSU...

      once again, any idea how to fix?

      bye

      Fabio

      --- In Quasimidi-The-Raven@yahoogroups.com, "ptc82" <ptc82@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I have recently purchased a raven and it emits a buzzing
      vibrational
      > noise (seems to be from around the PSU). the raven i owned a few
      years
      > ago did not do this.
      >
      > has anyone else experienced this, or know how i might fix it? i
      have
      > not yet opened it up, thought i'd see if anyone with more knowledge
      > would be able to help before i try.
      >
      > i have reduced the noise by placing pairs of socks between the
      synth
      > and the stand to reduce vibration, but has not eliminated the noise
      > (which is loud enough to be an annoyance in my otherwise silent
      room).

      > thanks for any help you can give.
      >
      > Paul

    • klaus_ww
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
        Hi guys,

        probably the noise is produced by the transformer. If I remember
        right QM used those blue square shaped Schaffer transformers.

        You can try to mechanically decouple the PSU board from the chassis
        via elastic spacers. It's a separate pcb board inside the Raven.

        Transformers can also develop an untypical "sound" when too much
        current is drawn. So also check if some parts become really hot.

        In worst case contact the support guys at
        http://www.quasimidisupport.de/. Can't be wrong anyways.

        Hope that helps a bit, good luck

        Klaus

        --- In Quasimidi-The-Raven@yahoogroups.com, "somethingkillingyou"
        <somethingkillingyou@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I got the same problem with my Raven, purchased 2 months ago...
        > and yes, it comes from the PSU...
        >
        > once again, any idea how to fix?
        >
        > bye
        >
        > Fabio
        >
        > --- In Quasimidi-The-Raven@yahoogroups.com, "ptc82" <ptc82@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > I have recently purchased a raven and it emits a buzzing
        > vibrational
        > > noise (seems to be from around the PSU). the raven i owned a few
        > years
        > > ago did not do this.
        > >
        > > has anyone else experienced this, or know how i might fix it? i
        > have
        > > not yet opened it up, thought i'd see if anyone with more
        knowledge
        > > would be able to help before i try.
        > >
        > > i have reduced the noise by placing pairs of socks between the
        > synth
        > > and the stand to reduce vibration, but has not eliminated the
        noise
        > > (which is loud enough to be an annoyance in my otherwise silent
        > room).
        > >
        > > thanks for any help you can give.
        > >
        > > Paul

      • Pas
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
          I replaced my crummy external psu with an internal one I bought through
          mouser. Works great and no noise :) I will see if I can dig up the old
          recipt and get a part number.
          -Pas

          wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > I have recently purchased a raven and it emits a buzzing
          vibrational
          > noise (seems to be from around the PSU). the raven i owned a few
          years
          > ago did not do this.
          >
          > has anyone else experienced this, or know how i might fix it? i
          have
          > not yet opened it up, thought i'd see if anyone with more knowledge
          > would be able to help before i try.
          >
          > i have reduced the noise by placing pairs of socks between the
          synth
          > and the stand to reduce vibration, but has not eliminated the noise
          > (which is loud enough to be an annoyance in my otherwise silent
          room).

          > thanks for any help you can give.
          >
          > Paul

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • somethingkillingyou
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
            AGAIN ON THE PSU noise/vibrations problem...

            PSU transformer (internal) on my Raven is a Myrra45050 (200 mA 230V);
            is that the same in your Ravens??

            Fabio

            --- In Quasimidi-The-Raven@yahoogroups.com, "Pas"
            <technoweeniepas@...> wrote:

            > I replaced my crummy external psu with an internal one I bought
            through
            > mouser. Works great and no noise :) I will see if I can dig up
            the old
            > recipt and get a part number.
            > -Pas

          • to_markus_m
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 23, 2007
              Hi,

              if you look in the misc pictures, I have stored a picture of my first
              Ravens PSU there. My fix was very simple: unscrew the PSU, take the
              plastic spacers out, make two or three plates of foam rubber, - take
              the gray plastic under the PSU as main, and screw the PSU back on this
              damping pad - if you can get it, take some hot adhesive to fix the
              capacitor and the rectifier. This mod costs near nothing, but it fixes
              the hum - only problem is to unscrew and screw the thing back, as there
              isnt enough space for usual tools ;)

              So good luck, Markus.