Orienteering at Pohick Bay this Sunday

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      QOC will hold an event this Sunday, Nov. 6, 2005 at Phick Bay Regional
      Park, VA. Registration will run from 11am till 1 pm.

      Meet Director: Lawrence Witmer
      Course Setter: Van Anthony

      Courses
      WHITE 2.2 km 64 m climb Beginner course - along trails,
      streams, and other linear features
      YELLOW 3.3 km 79 m climb Advanced beginner course - near easily
      identifiable re-location features
      ORANGE 4.8 km 107 m climb Intermediate course - off trail
      network, checkpoints on major terrain features
      BROWN 3.4 km 125 m climb Expert course - navigation is very
      tricky with few re-location features
      GREEN 5.5 km 189 m climb Expert course - navigation is very
      tricky with few re-location features
      RED 7.0 km 235 m climb Expert course - navigation is very
      tricky with few re-location features
      BLUE 7.9 km 280 m climb Expert course - navigation is very
      tricky with few re-location features

      Meet Notes:
      In addition to our regular "on-request" free beginner training, there
      will be a special training session conducted in American Sign Language
      (ASL) starting around 10:30am.

      And for you e-punching aficionados - yes, this meet will offer
      electronic timing!

      Course Setter Comments:

      We're offering the full complement of courses. The distances and
      climbs are listed below. There will be e-punching on the Orange and
      the four advanced courses. All maps will be preprinted 1:10000.

      Most of the "green" in Pohick is of the mountain laurel and
      rhododendron variety. It will slow you down but should be relatively
      painless. A few years ago my notes commented on the fast forest. Not
      anymore. We've had some nasty storms come through the area and there's
      a fair amount of fall. Not clumps that would be worth mapping, but
      rather scattered logs that always seem to be getting in the way.

      The only course-specific notes apply to the Yellow and Orange
      orienteers.

      Yellow: As you might expect, I take you off trail and expect you to
      find your way back to a trail, though not necessarily the one that you
      left. With all the leaves on the ground it can be hard to recognize a
      trail as you approach it from a right angle. So don't look for the
      trail, look for the blazes. They're quite prominent.

      Orange: You likely will find yourself moving around the park on major
      linear features, such as reentrants. Reentrants, for example, look
      pretty easy to follow on the map, but in practice you can find that
      some green, fall, or a steep slope push you off your line, and the
      next thing you know you've turned into another reentrant at a
      junction. So use your compass. Either take a bearing in the direction
      you want to follow, or at least notice the direction that the linear
      feature is going. If the feature is going northeast, and you suddenly
      find that you're going north, with no reason to believe that the
      feature you're on is going to drift back east, STOP, and figure out
      what you did wrong.

      DIRECTIONS
      From I-95 exit 163 in Lorton, go east on Lorton Road (Route 642) for
      approximately 1 mile, right on Armistead for about 1/4 to US 1. Turn
      right on US 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) for approximately .8 miles.
      Left on Gunston Road (Route 242) for about 3 miles to main park
      entrance.

      Note park admission fees:
      Admission fee for nonresidents of {Alexandria, Arlington, City and
      County of Fairfax, Falls Church and Loudoun} is $6 per vehicle per day
      for vehicle with less then 10 passengers.

      EVERYONE MUST BE OFF THE COURSE by 3:00 pm