RE: Update to the [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Summer Short Series Schedule Update

  • Nadim Ahmed
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005

      After discussion with several people over the weekend at the DVOA Independence Day Sprints, popular demand calls for postponing the July 16th QOC Annapolis Sprints to a day when more people can participate.  To make-up for this change, another Summer Series training event (not part of the Sprint Series) is likely to be held on July 16th—watch for the announcement.  The QOC Annapolis Sprints will now be held on July 23.  I hope this works for all who indicated interest earlier.

      Two sprints will be held.  Plan to run one or both.  Both will utilize e-punching.  Additional information will be forthcoming.

      The first Annapolis Sprint starting at 4pm will be approximately 2.6k, mostly in the forested areas of the park.  These areas are steep and the vegetation tends to be thick.  The mapper’s November 2004 assessments greatly underestimate my summertime interpretation.  White woods on the map often have mountain laurel.  I’ve tried to arrange the legs so as to avoid the worst of the thick areas but you can go where you want to.  Solid skill at Orange level navigation will be required.

      The second Annapolis Sprint starting at 6pm will mostly be on relatively open and flatter ground than the first.  Think Park-O style.  The final distance has not been determined yet but it will be much faster than the first.

      Nadim