World Masters O'Champs (Fwd'd from a sister club)

  • greg_lennon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      Just under 3 months until the 2005 World Masters Orienteering
      Championships.

      Registration deadline (May 20th) is approaching..

      Hello U.S. orienteers,

      Just a few weeks to go until the registration deadline (Friday May
      20th) for the 2005 World Masters Orienteering Championships (July
      22 - 31,
      2005). We have almost 1000 orienteers registered to date. If you are
      planning to come to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada for this year's World
      Masters, now is the time to register!

      It's not often that we have the chance to compete in a big
      orienteering
      event in North America. We hope to see lots of U.S. orienteers in
      Edmonton, Alberta for the 2005 World Masters Orienteering
      Championships
      (WMOC). For those of you fortunate enough to travel overseas to
      orienteering events, you know the thrill of competing in large
      events with
      potentially 100s of other orienteers in your age category and making
      friends
      with orienteers from around the world. It's not often that we have
      that
      chance in North America and we sure hope that you are planning to
      join
      us July 22 - 31. We are using terrain that has never been used
      before
      for orienteering and our brand new maps are looking great. Another
      huge
      bonus of the 2005 WMOCs is that they are being held as part of the
      World Masters Games. and over 15,000 athletes from 70 countries in
      27
      sports have registered to date. The World Masters games are the
      largest
      multi sport games in the world! A number of orienteers are taking
      the
      opportunity to compete in other sports as well as orienteering.
      Check the
      World Masters Games web site for info on all the sports
      (www.2005worldmasters.com).

      Here's a quick look at the WMOC schedule:

      World Masters Games opening ceremonies - Edmonton - Friday, July 22

      WMG fun park relay event - Edmonton - Friday, July 22

      Model Event #1 - Winfield - Monday, July 25

      Qualifier # 1 - Winfield - Tuesday, July 26

      Model Event #2 - Ft. Assiniboine - Wednesday, July 27

      Qualifier # 2 - Ft. Assiniboine - Thursday, July 28

      Orienteering Banquet - Spruce Grove/Stony Plain - Thursday, July 28

      Model Event #3 - Ft. Assiniboine - Friday, July 29

      Final - Ft. Assiniboine - Saturday, July 30

      World Masters Games closing ceremonies - Edmonton - Sunday, July 31

      You need to be born in 1970 or earlier to compete in the WMOCs. But
      for
      those of you under 35, we have associated events happening on the
      same
      days/maps as the World Masters (except the day of the finals). And
      there's a great line-up of events before and after:

      July 15 - 17 / Canadian Orienteering Championships / Williams Lake,
      British Columbia

      July 19 - 21 / Barebones Orienteering Festival / Red Deer, Alberta

      August 2-3 / North American Rogaining Championships / Cache Creek,
      British Columbia

      August 3-7 / Colorado Five-Day 2005 / www.colorado5day.com

      August 20 - 28 / Pacific Northwest Orienteering Festival /
      www.pnwof.org

      You'll find lots of details at www.wmoc2005.com. You can see map
      samples of our new terrain, location maps, download the brochure,
      find info
      about the event centre facilities, find accommodation suggestions,
      etc.
      And if there is any other information that you can't find on the web
      site, please send us an email at wmoc2005info@... and we will do
      our
      best to answer all your questions.
    • Peggy Dickison
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2005

        And if you’re going to WMOC – or any other out-of-country event – you’ll want to consider wearing “USA” o’ suits … remember, the deadline to order is the end of this week, May 15th. Get just a top if the prices scare you!

        See: http://orienteer.com/usa2005.htm for info, prices, etc. Then email your order to: joe@....

        The sale proceeds help the US World Champs Team, this year competing in Japan in August.

        Peggy D.