Summer Training this Saturday 8/14--Snakehead Stagger

  • donkst2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2004
      On Saturday, August 14, at 5:00 PM, QOC will be holding its third
      summer training event at Wheaton Regional Park at Shorefield Road
      Entrance. The event is the Snakehead Stagger, which is a 5.53K
      Advanced Course race (20 controls and 100 meters of climb), with an
      additional mental training aspect included (i.e. you will be asked to
      memorize certain parts of a different map at some of the controls).
      Because this is an advanced course, the event is only open to upper
      intermediate through advanced runners. You need to be an extremely
      skilled Orange level runner or above to participate. This event was
      first run on September 21, 2003 as one of QOC's National Orienteering
      Day Events. Unfortunately, due to several challenges at that time--
      namely cleaning up in the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel¬ónot as many
      club members were able to attend the event as wanted to at that time.
      Hopefully, if you missed last September, you'll be able to join us
      this Saturday Night.

      People should get to the park no later than 5:00 to register for the
      5:30 PM start (and warm-up properly). I would like to have everyone
      there and registered early so that we can start people fairly close
      to one another. After the event we will retire to the Lido's Pizza
      restaurant very close to the park for food and discussion
      (particularly about the Olympics!!!). At that point, there might even
      be an award for the top male and female runners, who knows!

      In keeping with the spirit of the summer series, I need to cap off
      this event at somewhere between 20-25 orienteers (because that seems
      to be the lack of permit threshold). With that in mind, if you want
      to come to the event, please e-mail the course setter David Onkst at
      donkst@... with the subject line "Snakehead Stagger Entry"
      ASAP to confirm a spot in the event--thanks!! For full event info,
      please see the "Course Setter's Notes," which will be posted later in
      the week.

      As always, the $3 per person summer series fee will go to the U.S.
      Orienteering Team fund.

      To get to the event from I-495 take the Georgia Ave Exit # 31 north
      approximately 2.75 miles to Shorefield Road. Turn right onto
      Shorefield and proceed approximately .25 miles into the Wheaton
      parking lot. Look for the club set up on the opposite side of the
      parking lot from the carousel (we'll be near the far shelter). Please
      note, because this is a summer training series event, there will not
      be any orienteering directional signs placed on the highway. So
      follow the above directions carefully.

      See you Saturday,

      Dave Onkst