QOC hosts Mid-Atlantic Championships this Sunday

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Come one, come all! QOC's next event will take place this Sunday when
      we host a three-way meet with DVOA and SVO for the coveted
      Mid-Atlantic Championship trophy, the Broken Compass. The event will
      feature epunching on advanced courses and for "official" participants
      on all courses (see definition of "official" below) and the
      championship will be determined by a moderately complicated system of
      points, detailed herein, but summarised immediately below.

      - Each club gets points based on the percentage of its membership that
      participates.

      - A certain number of the top finishers on each course win points for
      their club provided the course they are running is appropriate for
      their USOF class or harder.

      - Many points are at stake in the official relay and official teams
      cannot be formed without at least two juniors per team.

      - Points will be awarded for control pickup.

      Therefore, all QOC members in attendance will be helping the club
      point total and juniors are particularly valuable. Peggy Dickison is
      organizing our team so please contact her at pdickison@... to
      tell her you'll be coming, what course you'll run, whether you're
      available to run on a relay team and any other information you think
      might gladden her heart.

      Meet Notes:

      December 7, 2003 Registration from 10am till 1pm but official starts
      only until NOON.

      Avalon/Orange Grove - Mid Atlantics

      (meet director: Mike Newman - course setter: Francis Hogle) Quantico
      Note the importance of the White, Yellow and Orange participants. Come
      early and be a part! Let's win the Broken Compass Trophy.

      Also, e-punching will be used for all official participants on all
      courses as well as all participants on advanced courses. We have spare
      e-punches.

      Tentative rules: (probably pretty much final by now)

      The Mid-Atlantic Championships will consist of four parts:

      Attendance, calculated as a percentage of total club primary
      memberships in attendance and participating, rounded up to the nearest
      integer, and scored as points;

      Cross Country courses (blue, red, green, brown, orange, yellow and
      white) scored as follows: Scoring will be adjusted based on the number
      of competitors on a course.

      Men and Women will be scored separately for each course.

      Number of official competitors and points

      Place 11+ 9-10 7-8 5-6 3-4 1-2

      1st 6 5 4 3 2 1

      2nd 5 4 3 2 1 1

      3rd 4 3 2 1 1

      4th 3 2 1 1 1

      5th 2 1 1 1

      6th 1 1 1 1

      Courses:

      Blue - 6.84k 250m 12 controls

      Red - 5.52k 220m 9 controls

      Green - 4.73k 195m 7 controls

      Brown - 3.60k 125m 5 controls

      Orange - 3.36k 95m 7 controls

      Yellow - 2.21k 55m 6 controls

      White - 2.39k 65m 9 controls

      Relay, three legs in the following order - advanced, yellow and
      orange, roughly 3.5k, 0.8k, 1.6k - scored 50, 30, 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 4,
      2, 1 for first through tenth, official teams must have all official
      participants and have at least one female and one male in their
      makeup.

      Relay:

      Advanced - 3.26k 110m 5 controls

      Yellow - 0.91k 5m 5 controls

      Orange - 1.75k 30m 6 controls

      Bag pick up - only for those who are not on an official relay team - 3
      points per bag

      Special rules:

      To be official, participants must run their USOF A age category or
      above;

      To be official, participants must run for their primary club, or their
      legal residence must be in the traditional territory of the club they
      are running for as well as be a member of that club (Peggy's rule);

      Bag pick up points will be distributed equally among clubs until the
      volunteers for a club run out, then so on among the rest of the clubs.

      Other:

      Cross Country course starts will begin at 10am and run through noon
      for official starts, others can start until 1pm with a 3pm course
      closure;

      Relay will start at 1:30pm for official teams and at 1:50pm for
      unofficial teams with each being a mass start;

      Unofficial relay teams are encouraged and can be of any makeup;

      Pre-registrations will both be guaranteed printed maps and receive a
      $1 discount on registration; relay teams that are not pre-registered
      will incur $3 extra charge; for cross country courses we will
      course-print approximately 30% extra maps based on pre-registrations;
      they will be used first come first served for unregistered cross
      country participants; participants not pre-registered will copy after
      that off the clock, but will have 1 min added to their time. All relay
      teams will have printed courses.

      Pre-register yourself and your relay team individually or have your
      team manager, Peggy Dickison, get an email to Francis Hogle prior to
      midnight Thursday, December 4, 2003.

      Each club may, but is not required to, appoint a team manager to
      organize the club's team('s) efforts, to consult on results, and to
      make pre-registrations. Peggy Dickison is Quantico team manager

      Pay on arrival, attendance credit does not require a participant to be
      official for other purposes.

      Most total points wins the trophy.

      Note: Results would be on SVO 2003 results web page before they would
      be on QOC's web site.

      Avalon Course Setter Notes

      The Mid Atlantic courses this time are shorter than normal in order to
      accommodate a relay and picnic. All seven courses are being offered -
      white thru blue. We are not offering hide and seek controls; so, if
      you are there, you will either see the feature or the bag. The map is
      1:7,500 with 20 ft contours. It is much steeper than the illusion that
      the contour lines create. I mapped the green here in 1992, which was
      whiter then than on previous maps, and now it would be mapped even
      whiter still. It won't feel like it, however. Isabel and the recent
      storms have piled debris from twigs to whole trees on the forest floor
      in amounts unlike anything I have seen here in 20 years. It is not
      like Rock Creek in that here it is very passable with good visibility,
      but with less sure footing. Deadfall (unmapped) will sometimes be more
      of an obstacle than vegetation; however, the previously thick
      vegetation is usually recognizable in the terrain now. It has simply
      grown up. Some might say that there should be formline knolls, ranging
      from small to broad, on some of the long large scale spurs. We might
      agree. Rock features are small compared with those on most maps, and a
      0.3m boulder is probably on the map. The Silvermine question of
      boulders, cliffs and dot knolls arises here too. Our friends disagree
      widely, and we admit that we don't have a clue what the answer is, but
      we do have an interpretation. The Mid Atlantics are not at all like
      the 'Burning Man' in Black Rock, but there is a similarity. There is a
      boulder that, on each incarnation of this map, was located differently
      than on all other incarnations. We're not sure of the physical
      processes that have caused this movement; but frankly, we've lost
      track of it. So, if you spot it, please let us know.

      We will have a charcoal fire going around noon and hot water too. You
      may bring food for warming or for cooking. Pets, however, are not
      allowed at the park - even though we've seen them there. Pets, and
      their owners, are subject to eviction - even our very friendly ones we
      already know. All trash must be carried out of the park; there are no
      trash cans. Bathrooms are heated, close and in good condition. Bring
      your Sport Ident 'fingers'. E-punching is available on all courses and
      is required for official competitors and for the relay. We will have
      some for rent. It is about a 10 min, or so, walk to the start. It will
      be advantageous to get out on your cross country courses early if you
      are planning to participate in relays or if you are picnicking. The
      last official start will be noon (unofficial starts until 1pm, but
      don't count on any bags being there after 3pm) and the relays start at
      1:30 with instructions a little before. The bag pick up phase will be
      easy and close - roughly within the white and yellow courses. Quantico
      will pick up the more distant bags. We might be fortunate and be able
      to accommodate starters before 10am.

      Francis Hogle

      Directions: From I-195 exit 3 in Elkridge MD, take US 1 South. Then
      first right and first left into Patapsco State Park. Follow road and
      white and orange O signage inside the park.
    • Peggy Dickison
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003

        All,

        If you are planning on running (one of the standard courses and/or the relay) and you haven’t already emailed me, it would be helpful for me if you would let me know you’re coming. I may suggest a different course based on how the potential points look; more likely, I’ll be able to set up relay teams in advance and let Francis know how many we have. If you’ve emailed Francis of your intention to attend, I may already know your plans, but I won’t mind hearing again.

        Thanks, and let’s go get SVO and DVOA on Sunday!

        Peggy

        QOC Team Manager ‘03.

        pdickison@...

      • Van Anthony
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          Peggy,

              Marmie plans to run Brown.  I'll run Green.  These are our age-group courses.

          Van

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003

            Francis (and everyone else) –

            Here’s who I have signed up as of 10:45 Thursday, and tentative relay teams. Everyone who clearly noted to me that they wanted to run in the relay has been put on one. Rosters may have to change due to who shows up, injuries, weather-related issues, etc (and, I will be looking at results and may shuffle people on the official teams to put together the strongest teams we can). So consider this just a confirmation that you WILL be on a team unless I hear from you. If you want to be on a team and aren’t, let me know. I can put together one more official team with another official orange runner, so let’s hope for one of those to show up!   (Any junior GIRLS out there??)

            White

            Paul Stetekluh

            Linus Hamilton

            Yellow

            Robert Yeager

            Jon Chapman

            William Riley

            Mike Haas

            Aleks Peterson

            Jeff Zitsch

            Dave Elliot

            Tom Weeks

            Orange

            Josh Hawes

            George Britt

            Franziska Stuber

            David Peterson

            Alex Grant

            Duggan O’Dea

            Matt Dolan

            Brown

            Marmie Schuster-Walker

            Evan Williams (+ friend – 2 maps)

            Matthias Stuber

            Marit Davis

            Green

            Tim Gilbert

            Van Anthony

            Chad Chalkey

            Kathleen Lennon

            Gary Ham

            Valerie Meyer

            Brian Frick

            Ji Hoon Kim

            Jeff Stetekluh

            Diana Todd

            Tom Nolan

            Heidi Onkst

            Red

            Yulia Hanson

            Tim Good

            Greg Lennon

            Cliff Hamal

            Mihai Sirbu

            Elliott Hamilton

            David Onkst

            Victor Lin

            Peggy Dickison*

            Blue

            Christian Hanson

            Jon Torrance*

            John Wirzburgh

            Josh Wright

            Carl Muench

            Scott Pleban*

            Not all are “official.”   * Are official based on the “Peggy” rule.

            Relays

            Official

            1. Peggy Dickison

                        Josh Wright