HELP NEEDED FOR SCOUT O' Nov. 8 (Sat.) IN MD!

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      This year's annual Scout Orienteering event will be held this
      Saturday, Nov. 9 at the Broad Creek Scout Camp 73 miles from the DC
      Beltway in NE MD. For those wanting to make an O' weekend of it with
      the QOC event the next day, there are bunks in a wood stove-heated
      building available for free Sat. (and Fri.) nights. We have over 900
      people signed up for this event at the moment.

      We could use another big turnout of QOC help like last year's superb
      bunch. Troop 873 always provides all of us "helpers" with free roast
      beef sandwich/soda/snack lunches. This year a 40-point Score O' is
      available anytime. So you can help at the Scout event and orienteer
      Sat. (or Sun.) too!

      The most help for the scout event is needed from 8:15 a.m. to 9:30
      a.m. for registration and to check that bags on some short, easy
      courses are still there, and then 11:45a.m. to 1 p.m. for measuring
      Route O' maps .....no skill needed to help out! Control pick-up at 1
      p.m. and 4 p.m. We have shelters, so it's rain or shine. E-mail me
      at Peggy@... or just show up (if you have a burning question,
      call me Thur. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (202)647-7154 or at home at
      (410)741-9639 7:30 to 10 p.m.) ....no need to contact me in advance.

      If you stay all day or arrive late to help pick up controls or just
      happen to be around, we usually go out to a local eatery afterwards
      (about 5:30); hope to see you for some or all of the day!

      Thanks,

      Dave Linthicum

      PS: Last weekend, 130 people (and half as many dogs!) of S. Pa.'s/
      central Md.'s search and rescue units

      were using our orienteering map for training there.

      Directions:

      North on I-95 through Baltimore 59 miles from the DC Beltway to Exit
      80 (Rt. 543 north) for 1.9 miles. Right on Rt. 136 north at the
      light. After 10.1 miles (this is 0.9 miles after crossing U.S. Rt. 1
      at the light), right at flashing light (in the town of Dublin) on Rt.
      440 for a block, then turn left on Castleton Rd. After 1.5 miles,
      left on Day Rd. for a block. Right on Robinson Mill Rd. for 1 mile to
      the parking lot (on the left unless you arrive after about 8:45 a.m.,
      when overflow parking will be another 1/4 mile downhill to the right)